Fermenting feed for layers?

This is all very interesting. Thanks to all for the info!

I have a question - I currently use an organic starter/grower crumble (manufactured by King) for my 4 chickens (21, 20, 15 and 13 weeks). I had planned to continue using the starter/grow mix indefinitely and add oyster shell (or some other source of calcium) when the older ones started laying (soon, I hope!!!). The protein content of the feed is 22%. It seems like, from what I've read here, a higher protein content isn't optimal if you're going to ferment. So, would I be OK using the current feed, or would it be better to switch to a layer feed, with a lower protein content, when they're all laying? Unfortunately, I don't have any strictly grower feed available where I live. Thanks in advance!

You can always water that feed down a bit and make it stretch by adding some cheaper, lower protein whole grain(s). Barley is a good one and it ferments nicely. If you can't get something like that you can ever add some scratch...say 2/3 grower, 1/2 scratch. The chickens will love the variety and you can make your grower last a bit farther as well.

It doesn't matter what feed you use, really...if it's a high pro mix you can just feed less total feed for them to give them the right amounts. You'll just have to play with it and see what amounts are keeping your flock too heavy on their feet and then just cut back until they are fit and fast on their feet.

Oh, ok. So it won't mess up the chemical process if the feed has more protein, it's just a weight gain issue? I guess I misunderstood that. Excellent. Thanks for the great tips! Love this place. :-D

You can always water that feed down a bit and make it stretch by adding some cheaper, lower protein whole grain(s). Barley is a good one and it ferments nicely. If you can't get something like that you can ever add some scratch...say 2/3 grower, 1/2 scratch. ...
X2
You can use the following ap to calculate the exact amount of grain to get the ratio that will give you the protein % you seek.
https://homesteadapps.com/app/free/feedcalc/pearsonsquare.php
I do the same thing. My base feed is a 16% organic grower. To increase it to 20% for chicks, I mix it 10:1 with 60% fishmeal. I can add millet or rice to get the protein lower for maturing roosters, for example.

Oh, ok. So it won't mess up the chemical process if the feed has more protein, it's just a weight gain issue? I guess I misunderstood that. Excellent. Thanks for the great tips! Love this place. :-D

It won't mess up the FF, the main reason not to give mature birds high protein (unless they're molting) is because excess protein needs to be processed by the liver, putting an unnecessary and expensive load on that organ.

X2
You can use the following ap to calculate the exact amount of grain to get the ratio that will give you the protein % you seek.
I do the same thing. My base feed is a 16% organic grower. To increase it to 20% for chicks, I mix it 10:1 with 60% fishmeal. I can add millet or rice to get the protein lower for maturing roosters, for example.

It won't mess up the FF, the main reason not to give mature birds high protein (unless they're molting) is because excess protein needs to be processed by the liver, putting an unnecessary and expensive load on that organ.

Thanks for that site. Pearson. It seems to have it all. $14.95 yr subscription. I'm not good with graphs, calculations etc so this is great.
big_smile.png

X2

So glad to see the word "fishmeal" is in this post..
big_smile.png
.I have been wondering what I can find in Louisiana besides soybeans to up my protein %age! I would bet I can find that. I have also read that roasted soybeans are not always thoroughly roasted and that is not healthy for the poultry...anybody gotta comment???
idunno.gif
There are a lot of small-time chicken owners here, but nobody with really firm knowledge on this topic and I want to do the best for my hens

I just started fermenting last week with wheat, barley and layer feed. My flock is ecstatic...
yesss.gif
but I use the chick crumbles for my 12-week girlies...I guess it would be okay to use fishmeal in their fermented feed OR not????
idunno.gif
It makes a really yucky muck to ferment those crumbles. Of course, I only have nine young'uns.

Do you ferment in the winter...wish somebody would address that. Our winters are not very cold, but cold enough to slow fermentation, I would think.
idunno.gif

Since it is difficult for me to take time to read all the threads, I am happy to find this one! Yay for y'all!!

So glad to see the word "fishmeal" is in this post..
big_smile.png
.I have been wondering what I can find in Louisiana besides soybeans to up my protein %age! I would bet I can find that. I have also read that roasted soybeans are not always thoroughly roasted and that is not healthy for the poultry...anybody gotta comment???
idunno.gif
There are a lot of small-time chicken owners here, but nobody with really firm knowledge on this topic and I want to do the best for my hens

I just started fermenting last week with wheat, barley and layer feed. My flock is ecstatic...
yesss.gif
but I use the chick crumbles for my 12-week girlies...I guess it would be okay to use fishmeal in their fermented feed OR not????
idunno.gif
It makes a really yucky muck to ferment those crumbles. Of course, I only have nine young'uns.

Do you ferment in the winter...wish somebody would address that. Our winters are not very cold, but cold enough to slow fermentation, I would think.
idunno.gif

Since it is difficult for me to take time to read all the threads, I am happy to find this one! Yay for y'all!!

Yea, Louisiana!!
welcome-byc.gif
Glad to see you. I'm east of Shreveport a few miles in Haughton. I'm new to chickens even though I've been on this site for 8 mo. My babies are 3 weeks old. And do they ever love their FF. I started from day 1 when I got them. Happy , happy babies. Tell us about yourself. Where are you in La. Meadowchick? This is a good thread. Lot's to talk about. Keep talking. I'm interested in the fishmeal.
ya.gif

LindaB220,
I am about halfway between DeRidder and Lake Charles (N and S); and then midway between Kinder and Dequincy (E and W)! Right out in the middle of the piney woods/"the Sticks". Lol! Love it out here! We have swap meets once a month in DeRidder and Moss Bluff (Tractor Supply) and I am surprised at the number of folks around here that raise chicks of all varieties. I met a lady who lives near me in Moss Bluff that hatches Lille Fleurs (sp?). A gentleman at Dry Creek near Bundicks Lake has Cuckoo Marans. Some other locals have Black Copper Marans, Easter Eggers, Barred Rocks, and a variety of Wyandottes and bantams...and others I a sure. A man who buys my eggs found out I was wanting a New Hampshire roo and told me this week that he knows a lady that will give me a couple baby roos later this summer...I am sure after she picks hers. Nice folks all around.

My ladies and Roody were just a year old March 24. I have 4 Dominiques, 4 PBRs, 3 EEs, 5 Black SLinks, 6 Prod. Reds, and 8 newbie Gold Comets. Those old enough to lay...lay like crazy! With a Dom roo I guess I will just have mutt chickies, but that's okay since I don't show them...I love watching them hunt and peck in the pastures and feel really blessed to have found this new pleasure. BTW, They are all named and come running when I call 'em.
love.gif
What about yours???

Well, I think it is my turn to ask about fermenting. I have never done it before, and really want to start. I have been going crazy reading everything I can. It was a lot and got kind of confusing, but I think I got it all done. Just wanting to make sure I have it, and will be doing it right.

I plan on using a 5 gallon bucket with snap shut lid, leave it propped open, dont shut unless I am shaking. Put in enough feed to last a few days, and cover with water. Stir every couple hours, and make sure there is enough liquid to keep it covered. Wait at least 4 days, it will be bubbly and have a sour smell. Scoop enough for the chickens to eat in a short time frame, feed twice a day. Every time I remove some of the feed, add more to replace, and just maintain water level. I will be fermenting just regular layer feed and maybe add some scratch also. Or just throw the scratch out.

One thing that confused me was when I just start the bucket, I have red that normal tap water it fine, but also that you need to use non-chlorinated water. Which is it? Also, that you should put ACV in it to get it started. Do I keep adding the ACV every time I add water, or just to get it started? Is it a must that I add it? I have also read that you can just leave the lid open and it will naturally do what the ACV does for it, it just might take longer and you run into the chance of mold?

I am just trying to make sure I get this all right the first time around, before I start experimenting with fermenting new foods, or buying whole grains and doing it that way. Sorry for the long post!! But any help will be so greatly appreciated.

smile.png
I am sure there are long-time fermenters that can answer those better, but this is what I do for layers:
1. I use regular tap water with chlorine + ACV
2. I use 2 scoops laying pellets + 1.5 wheat + 1 barley + a little corn (1/2 or less-may use more later if it continues to work well)Waited 2 days before I fed it.
3. I just read "somewhere" that it's better to keep it covered several inches with water to keep it from souring improperly from too much air.
4. I start in a 5 gal. bucket with small drain holes drilled in bottom and sides, this sits in another 5 gal bucket and I lift/tie it off to drain/feed/re-submerge.
5. I add grains and feed into the same starter water with ACV...it lasts a long time without additional ACV...I cover with a lid that is not latched down.
I also am feeding fermented chick starter to my biddies by making only about a 1/2 gallon at a time. I refrigerated it after fermenting when they were tiny. Let it get room temp before I fed. Have10 chicks now.
Hope this helps you get started. They all love it!

Back
Top Bottom