Fermenting Feed.

I will most pictures of my feed tomorrow.

Anyone trying this who isn’t using a crumble or pellitized feed should be Milling their grains. I don’t use pre mixed feed, because it creates a messy paste that’s not easy to feed and makes a huge mess.

back to the point here tho....

IF fermenting longer than 24 hours you are actually feeding your feed to yeast an other voracious micros.

if your goal is to create a more nutritious feed, then there is cooking involved. After cooking, I wouldn’t ferment. After fermenting 4-7 days you are essentially feeding a fibery mush. I guess also pickling you’re chickens.... who doesn’t love a drunk chicken.

Help me understand the draining part, won’t that wash away nutrition?

There are multiple methods for fermentation. You can ferment without any drainage using a method like for sourdough bread instead of grain-based alcohol. Add a little bit of starter from your last batch, add dry feed and just enough water to fully moisten it. After a few hours you will see the air pockets, indicating the action of the yeast.

IMG_5826.JPG

One cup of dry feed (on the right), the same amount fermented (on the left) 24 hours later. Notice how it has bulked up and there is no excess water to drain off. Save a tablespoon of the now fermented feed to make your next batch. Repeat once a day. Offer free choice dry feed the remainder of the day.

IMG_5790.JPG

I will most pictures of my feed tomorrow.

Anyone trying this who isn’t using a crumble or pellitized feed should be Milling their grains. I don’t use pre mixed feed, because it creates a messy paste that’s not easy to feed and makes a huge mess.

back to the point here tho....

IF fermenting longer than 24 hours you are actually feeding your feed to yeast an other voracious micros.

if your goal is to create a more nutritious feed, then there is cooking involved. After cooking, I wouldn’t ferment. After fermenting 4-7 days you are essentially feeding a fibery mush. I guess also pickling you’re chickens.... who doesn’t love a drunk chicken.
Looking forward to your pics ! :celebrate

So Now for those of us who still add Brewers yeast to our dry feed. I am guessing that should be sprinkled on last before you feed? :confused:

I'm just curious, why do people ferment feed? I have never heard of doing that before now.

There are many reasons, fermenting feed was actually a really old practice on family farms but fell out of favor through the years and is now experiencing a revival. Some of the scientific research indicates it produces overall healthier birds with stronger egg shells and also reduces feed costs. I think the main idea is that by partially fermenting the grain, the yeast starts breaking down the feed, which makes it more digestible for the birds, and therefore they get more nutritional benefit from the feed than they do with dry feed. It also gives them probiotics, which improves digestion and overall health.

Here is one article that discusses the benefits, there have been others since then:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19373724/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom