Fermenting Homemade Whole Food Chicken Feed

Its all good.

I play with calculators every once in a while, its a learning experience that helps "practice" what I think I now know.

and the deeper I get into poultry nutrition, the deeper I find this hole seems to go. I admit a bias as well, I have two good sized mills nearby producing a high quality local feed, and likely more mills than that, if I looked - we are located in Southern "chicken country". If I was in the Northern midwest, the cost differential might not be quite so lopsided **if** making feed in bulk. But I'd DEFINITELY mill the grains to keep them from picking and choosing.
I guess I would trust the people formulating feed who stand to lose millions with their commercial chicken operations if it's not right more than I would trust the dog food manufacturers who only need to sell food to other people's pets. I guess I've never heard of a chicken food recall, but dog food recalls and health disasters from additives and bad sources of ingredients are commonplace.

Well, dunno how "experienced" I am lol, but if you're going to use a whole grain feed, then yes it should be fermented. Probably the best known brand of this type of feed is Scratch & Peck (in my area every feed store carries it, and many pet stores as well) and they do recommend fermenting due to the fact that the added vitamins, minerals and protein which make the feed a feed (vs scratch grains) is mostly in the fines, which is the powder in the feed mix.

That said, because I don't want to micromanage feed all day, I only feed fermented in the morning and then my flock gets dry pellets available all day. If you strictly want to feed fermented feed then you'll need to do some experimenting to see exactly how much you need to provide and how often, to ensure the birds are well fed while not wasting feed. Personally I'm less concerned about the benefits of fermenting, and mostly interested in reducing feed waste as well as making sure my birds eat their complete diet.
This is similar to what I do but I make my own whole grain feed to ferment & they love it. I use the Garden Betty corn free “recipe” I also use it as a free choice feed in their trough with crumble & add hemp seed free choice as an added treat (high protein & Omega 3 & 6) My chickens also free range in the tractor or supervised in the backyard + get occasional leftovers, fresh garden veggies, live mealworms, sprouts/fodder & other treats. We try to maintain a well balanced diet through variety.
I am still new as well but also have a soy sensitivity. I want my birds to be healthy & happy. Honestly, my homemade whole grain food looks more like real food to me than grower crumble. My chickens prefer it to crumble & will eat every bite where as they tend to fling crumble every where. Another + that I’ve seen is that my homemade food doesn’t mold if it gets wet like crumble does. It just sprouts which is just another nutritious snack for them.

Attachments

• 8CB8E813-0B14-4706-B542-04B636330468.jpeg
    8CB8E813-0B14-4706-B542-04B636330468.jpeg
    998.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 398105F3-A98B-4356-8393-939164335B86.jpeg
    398105F3-A98B-4356-8393-939164335B86.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 0E0B7548-CD83-4EA5-A197-A16679CC2250.jpeg
    0E0B7548-CD83-4EA5-A197-A16679CC2250.jpeg
    695.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 734ED4C8-B68C-4B5A-AA13-757456C54F3E.jpeg
    734ED4C8-B68C-4B5A-AA13-757456C54F3E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Thank you for all the replies. So, as I said, I am a newbie and could be totally wrong. That's why I am asking questions so I can minimize mistakes! =)

As for feeding them crumbles/feed - I have been feeding them as much as they can eat of that first thing in morning before I take them out to tractor. Then they are in the tractor all day with just water and all the bugs and greens they can eat. I move the tractor half way through the day so they have access to a fresh supply of bugs and such.

Then I bring them back in around dusk and let them eat all the food they want again before bed.

I started thinking that maybe they should have food outside during the day, so that is when I started bringing them veggies with a little crumble mixed in. I process the veggies because they eat it better that way. I started out giving them whole veggies - bell peppers, apples, cabbage, etc. and it mostly when uneaten. When I pulse it a little - they lick the platter clean - maybe because they are still young?

As for the whole food vs feed. I mostly just want to ferment their food. I have started fermenting their crumble and feeding them that in the morning and they love it! So, I am not against using the grain. I just had a couple thoughts - their are people on youtube that ferment whole grains and feed their chickens that. It just seemed like a better idea then just mushy meal. Also, I read the ingredients on my organic feed from BlueSeal and it was just corn, soy, wheat, barley and yeast along with vitamins. I was planning on making them feed out of corn, wheat, barley, quinoa, millet, split peas, lentils, flax seeds, grubs as well as brewer yeast and vitamins. The homemade version just seemed like more variety and better nutrients.

Maybe I could feed one in the morning and one at night?

I hope that answers the questions you all threw out. I really appreciate the comments.
You might be interested in New Country Organics, if there's one near you. They do ship, but buying in store is best. I drive 2 hours one way to buy it in Lubbock, TX but also stop at the raw dairy on the way home to make the most of the drive. They have a bunch of special formulas like corn free, wheat free, soy free, several types of grind and whole too. It's beautifully balanced, and I ferment with a couple glugs of ACV overnight in buckets, adding in couple tablespoons DE and Redmond Mineral Conditioner, barely covering feed with water. Our chickens consume much less feed by doing this, stay better hydrated, and their food is better digested. When I pour it into their feed trays, it smells like wonderful sweet sourdough bread. We range our 25 birds on 11 acres, so in the spring/summer my rule is no feed till later in afternoon to make them go hunt for those crickets, grasshoppers, and all the crazy crawlies on the Texas prairie from morning through afternoon. Then they receive their measured allotment, topping off their bellies before bed.

I repeat I highly recommend not feeding them anything except a crumble or a pelleted commercially made chicken feed.

Anything that you feed besides a crumble or a pellet is taking away from them getting a balanced diet... Which is not good.
Do you not think the commercial feeds are full of stuff that is not good for them when you check the ingredients. I'm not happy with what I see.

Do you not think the commercial feeds are full of stuff that is not good for them when you check the ingredients. I'm not happy with what I see.
Absolutely not.
They are formulated as a complete balanced diet.

Out of curiosity, and meaning no disrespect, what qualifies you to judge?

I'll readily grant that commercial chick feeds aren't the best - and that some are definitely better than others. I've done some reading, considered some studies, looked at the nutritional profiles of all kinds of chick feed ingredients. I have opinions which are accorded some weight around here, in this little community. and I generally show my work. Interested in the basis for yours.

Hi,

I am new to raising chickens. My chicks are 8 weeks old and I have 10 of them. They are currently eating up the last bits of chick crumbles the feed store sold me when I bought the chicks. However, after doing more research, I want to feed them a whole food unprocessed feed instead of pellets. Maybe just keeping a bag of organic pellets to fill a feeder if we decide to go camping or something. Ideally, I would like to ferment / sprout a whole grain feed and just feed that exclusively. They are "free range" in the sense that they are in a tractor that I move around the yard where they have access to grass, weeds, insects and dirt all day and then come home to their coop/run at night.

Can I ferment a whole food feed and if so, do I only feed them in the morning and night and just let them eat grass and bugs while out in the tractor all day? I also give them fresh veggies and fruit that I pulse in the processor and then mix with a little feed and grit and take that to them as a lunch in there tractor.

As growing hens, should they have access to feed all day? I don't have to make my own feed but I will if that is best - do you have brands of whole food feeds that you recommend?

Thank you for you help.
Have found with my horses that 'mixing / making' your own feed is WAY TOO much trouble, and in the long run NEVER saves any money.

With my chickens I didn't even bother to 'wing it' with 'oh-natural' feeds. I just feed a regular chicken feed, in regular old chicken feeders so they have free choice at all times, twice a day I soak a bowl of that same old chicken feed with hot water to make a porridge which ALL the chickens go bananas for!

If you are into 'organic - vegan' feed for your chickens Purina makes one (think it is called Gold'N). But just want to point out that by their very nature chickens are 'opportunistic' feeders and will eat anything that they can get their beaks on - my Silkie gobbled up an 8" snake back in the summer - she stomped it, and slurped it back like spagghetti! (Ewwww!).

Also remember that if you live in a cold climate where winter lasts forever, your chickens will benefit from a commercial feed with balanced vitamins and minerals.

Let us know how you're making out - I would be interested to know what you end up feeding!

Out of curiosity, and meaning no disrespect, what qualifies you to judge?

I'll readily grant that commercial chick feeds aren't the best - and that some are definitely better than others. I've done some reading, considered some studies, looked at the nutritional profiles of all kinds of chick feed ingredients. I have opinions which are accorded some weight around here, in this little community. and I generally show my work. Interested in the basis for yours.
I'm cleaning rabbits and guinea pigs right now so I will give better response later, hopefully. I'm not certain that I am qualified to judge. I am asking questions, researching and learning as a first-time chicken mama. I have been carefully reading labels on all of my animal feed and also my own, and honestly I'm horrified, esp after reading the conditions of and what is fed to most commercially raised chickens and cattle. Guinea pig and rabbit food is loaded with fillers and preservatives in most cases. Whatever the chickens eat passes to us through their eggs, right? I am not good with a heavy corn and soy diet for myself. Most corn and soy are GMO in US, so I question the reliability of food that says organic and non-GMO, esp if they don't provide the source of the ingredients. I understand that dietary requirements for chickens are different than my own, still I am continually looking for better or the best options. I also know that all the contradictory opinions about chicken feeding in blogs and other articles are just opinions and not based in research or fact so I double and triple check. I put a post about feeding chickens charcoal mixed with apple cider vinegar and everyone poo pooed me, but this information was verified by scientific studies on a government website https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23972401/ which you can check out. Ok. I'm out until later. The natives are getting restless.

Oh just one other thought on 'tractor runs' - unless it is more than 1/2 an acre then all a tractor run really does is keep your chickies safe from predation, and out of your neighbour's garden :)

Invest is a couple rolls of electric chicken mesh fencing and put that up. YOu can move it around to different location once they trample down the area they are in. I put mine up around some Coniferous trees by my barn, they all come an go from the barn and outside as they please, and the Coniferous trees offer shade, protection from rain, and a place to hide from Raptors (hahaha by that I mean hawks, eagles, etc - not the Jurassic Park variety :) ).

Enjoy your chickens, don't make it complicated, go to your local Feed-mill and talk to a feed rep there, the more complicated you make it the less fun you will have with them!

Oh just one other thought on 'tractor runs' - unless it is more than 1/2 an acre then all a tractor run really does is keep your chickies safe from predation, and out of your neighbour's garden :)

Invest is a couple rolls of electric chicken mesh fencing and put that up. YOu can move it around to different location once they trample down the area they are in. I put mine up around some Coniferous trees by my barn, they all come an go from the barn and outside as they please, and the Coniferous trees offer shade, protection from rain, and a place to hide from Raptors (hahaha by that I mean hawks, eagles, etc - not the Jurassic Park variety :) ).

Enjoy your chickens, don't make it complicated, go to your local Feed-mill and talk to a feed rep there, the more complicated you make it the less fun you will have with them!
I don't mean to spoil all the fun and great suggestions, but some of us have more time than money. Electric fence equipment can be expensive and she mentioned in one of her posts that she sometimes buys from Sprouts on EBT. Lest anyone judge, we are not all sucking off the government teet because we are lazy. I am a single mom and made very good income until my body decided to give out. I hate being on disability and constantly try to find ways to "fix" myself so I can return to work, but meanwhile I struggle big time. I had no idea the cost and labor of raising chickens when I brought them home. 😐. I was just thinking of saving on eggs and the fun of raising them. Fortunately, I only have four. I wanted two but TSC said they would only sell in groups of four. 🙄 I love them though and give the best care I can even if it is not fun sometimes. Plus, I live in the desert, not much forage and four hawks and an owl on the property.

Back
Top Bottom