Fermenting Pellets

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by eagrbeavr, Sep 28, 2016.

1. eagrbeavr

eagrbeavr Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello. I'm familiar with fermenting but I've never done it with pellets. I understand it can also be done. Who's done this. Can I expect anything different or no. Thanks in advance :)

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I ferment crumbles now, but have also fermented layer pellets. Seemed to work pretty much the same - they just break down when they come into contact with water.

3. eagrbeavr

Thanks for the reply. Whats the consistency like. Farina maybe? Wow I haven't said Farina in years. Now I have a craving.

4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL...yes, I like to get it to that consistency. The pellets really seem to absorb the water (I use dechlorinated so it won't interfere with the fermentation process), so it make take some time and tinkering to get the "right" proportion of pellets to water. Have fun!

5. eagrbeavr

Thank you. That's what I needed to hear. Enjoy your evening

6. KearsargeCoop

KearsargeCoop New Egg

Oct 2, 2016
    Keweenaw
    First post! Woot.

Anyways, great topic. This has been something I've been wanting to learn more about to promote gut health in our layers. Not so interested in feeding my broilers fermented goodies (although I suppose I could). Have you noticed any difference in egg quality since you've started feeding them the fermented pellets? Cheers!

7. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    Ahhh, Michigan's great Upper Peninsula eh? I have used the fermented food for meaties and layers. Have liked the results with both, especially with the meaties. My current group of layers that I have on fermented feed have not started laying yet, so can't speak on the egg quality. I do like how healthy the birds are on the fermented food though. [​IMG]
    I'm from Michigan and always enjoyed trips into the U. P.

8. eagrbeavr

I started fermenting the pellets and feeding it to the gals a few days ago. They seem to love it. Too soon for egg count tho. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by