Fern is 25 Weeks Old (((UPDATE: First Egg w/ pic)))

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Nov 14, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Fern is the daughter of my Ivy with Dutch, so is Hawkeye's granddaughter. Ivy, if you remember, has almost died twice from internal laying type infections. She was brought back from the brink of death by heavy penicillin injections. After she recovered the first time and began laying again, I hatched her eggs under a broody. One pullet went to live in Maryland with popcornpuppy. The other baby from Ivy was Fern. Fern was raised by my banty Cochin, Shadow, and is now 25 weeks old. No eggs yet, but she is allowing the rooster to mate her, so they won't be long in coming. Here are a few pics of Fern today. She has much nicer barring than her mother and has turned out to be what I think is a pretty young lady. She was into the habit of flying out of her pen and we had to clip her wings for her own safety.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Very pretty girl cyn

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Absolutely beautiful Cynthia. Love the name. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

Thank you! I thought that Fern was a good name for a child of Ivy's. Her other daughter in MD is named Sage.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Aww, she's a beautiful lady! [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

Now, if she'd just lay that first egg! I'm not going to rush her, though. I want her to be with us for a very long time and be very healthy.

7. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Cynthia - Fern is beautiful! I love that first picture, it really shows her off! [​IMG]

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    She is such a beauty and such a little snot. You cannot blame her for wanting to see the world...afterall Tom spoiled her rotten so she thinks she has every right to explore, Daddy will protect her. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  9. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Fern is beautiful, and I hope you get that egg soon!

10. speckledhen

Fern laid her very first egg today at the age of 26 weeks old. It's speckled like her mama, Ivy's, are.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by