FERN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
That silly Fern, what a character! She so reminds me of Barbara the BR we all know and love on BYC. She really "pulled a Fern" today on me! Charlotte, my older blue Ameraucana, began laying again today after a long molting hiatus. The end of the shell was a bit soft, so decided to plump up the calcium for her and the others who should begin laying again anytime now.
I go into the house, make up a big glass pan of oatmeal and grits cooked together with nonfat milk powder, with my own calcium tablets melted in, yogurt, some salmon, egg, etc. I go into their coop storage area and open the door into the main coop itself, holding the pan with my right hand and trying not to let them slip through the door into the storage area by pulling that door behind me with the left hand. Just as I'm almost through the door, from my left comes Fern, who apparently was up on the nestbox.
Fern catapults herself through the air and lands right in the middle of the oatmeal pan I'm holding 5 ft above the floor! She must weigh over six pounds by now and I try like heck to hold the pan, with Fern standing in the middle of it, up in the air, but it tilts and globs of oatmeal mixture fall into the shavings where the awaiting feathered sharks dive into the pan before I can get it to the floor.
hmm.png
I made so much racket that my DH comes running out of the house asking what's wrong. This is the sweet, innocent Fern, daughter of Ivy and Dutch. In fact, she's standing in the nest she used as her launch pad.
roll.png
Once again, I say BAD FERN!

DCP_4342.jpg

That is hysterical,, is it a barred thing?? Puff N Stuff the barred hen with the beard I have will leap into any goodies to knock them to the floor.. WWF got nothing on a hen with a target!

That girl is a mess! You know your feathered grandbaby, Cannonball, launches herself from anything and anywhere ONTO YOU!

That's so funny! I have a tortoise named Fern.
smile.png
But my Fern is just the opposite and likes to sleep a lot.

Fern's a smart little lady ... she knows to get there first! You know the saying, "First come, first served!" Why mess around with those other feathered sharks in the way!

I have Fern's egg in the bator (her 4th egg ever!) .... it's veining! YAY, Miss Fern is about to become a mama!

Back
Top Bottom