fertile chicken eggs

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Broodies are not picky who the eggs belong to
wink.png

also too, when a roo mates and "fertilizes" the hen, won't she lay fertile eggs for a few days without another mating session??

so you may have an extra day or two once the roo is gone, of fertile eggs, if this statement is true that is.

also, isn't there a way to stall the development of the egg for a few days (like keeping it cool or something?) I don't know much about all this yet, I am just starting to encourage a broody in my flock, and already considering making a bator just in case no one is interested in setting on them naturally.

good luck! I hope you get the answers and help you need

Quote:
Eggs can be fertile for up to 3 weeks after the roo is gone, though the fertility rate should decrease over that time. You can store eggs for a week or so before incubating or putting under a broody; can't tell you the best temp for this. If you decide to do this, you will want to do a little research here and get better information about storing than I know.

i don't know how to make an incubator and i don't have the time to go buy one

i hate to say it but you may be out of luck at the moment, for hatching eggs via a broody hen. maybe try again in a month or so and in the mean time encourage a hen or two to "want" to be broody. or wait until one goes broody with fake eggs (aka plastic golf balls for example) under her, then borrow the rooster again, and switch out the fakes with the real ones

or possibly find the time to get or make and incubator on your own, and "set" a lot more at one time with no need for a broody

Back
Top Bottom