fertile duck egg and chicken eggs

backyardfarmer2

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2015
Central Illinois
so my fertile duck egg and my chicken eggs are both developing and being incubated by my broody silkie. I guess my question is since my chicken eggs will hatch before my duck egg what should I do? Will my hen naturally continue to incubate my duck egg or will she abandon it after the other eggs hatch? Or will she continue to sit on it and raise the other chicks? Does anyone have experience with this.

so my fertile duck egg and my chicken eggs are both developing and being incubated by my broody silkie. I guess my question is since my chicken eggs will hatch before my duck egg what should I do? Will my hen naturally continue to incubate my duck egg or will she abandon it after the other eggs hatch? Or will she continue to sit on it and raise the other chicks? Does anyone have experience with this.
Chances are if they were all set under her on the same day and with the time difference in egg incubation if the chicken eggs hatch on the average hatch day that she will end up abandoning her nest to take care of the chicks before the ducklings hatch. I you don't have an incubator and you want to improve the chances of having the ducks hatch I would look into getting one or borrowing one.

Chances are if they were all set under her on the same day and with the time difference in egg incubation if the chicken eggs hatch on the average hatch day that she will end up abandoning her nest to take care of the chicks before the ducklings hatch. I you don't have an incubator and you want to improve the chances of having the ducks hatch I would look into getting one or borrowing one.

x2

Best of luck!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom