Fertile duck eggs developing at different rates?

deebs

Chirping
11 Years
Jun 6, 2010
Good morning everyone-
I incubated four fertile duck eggs- two were duds. We're on day 23 of 28 and one of them is moving and looks like it should- but the other one looks a lot smaller developmentally. The temps and humidity have been steady, the turner is working. I looked for a blood ring but could not see one. The egg is definitely bigger than it was four days ago last time I candled... but no way anywhere near the other one. Is this just a lost cause or should I make preperation to incubate it for longer? Lockdown should start in a few days and I'm not sure what the change in temp/humidity will do to the egg in question- probably nothing good. Any advice or information would be appreciated!

Are you're sure it's alive and not just rotting? Have you tried smelling it?

How does the size of their air cells compare? If they're similar, lockdown conditions shouldn't hurt the other egg, if it is still alive.

You'd only see a blood ring if it dies within the first couple days.

Eggs do sometimes hatch a few days late, but if it reaches day 33 or 34 without starting to hatch, it's a lost cause.

Thanks, that was a big help! Day 28 is Monday so tomorrow they go on lockdown- I’ll just take my chances and hope for the best.

Quick question: how important is hatch position? (First time hatching) I have an incubator with a flat tray, not rounded cups. The eggs lay on their side. I can try and put something in there to prop them up on so they point up 45 degrees.

No, they're supposed to lay on their side for hatching. They don't need to be turned or anything after lockdown. I think it's actually ideal for them to lay on their side for the entire incubation period, since that's what's closest for natural incubation, but most automatic egg turners are designed so the eggs have to be upright at an angle.

Hoping the best! :)

Back
Top Bottom