fertile eggs question

ladyh

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2015
New Mexico
I understand the storing 3-7 days before putting eggs in the incubator. What I can't find is, is there a way to tell if an egg is fertile "before" putting in the incubator. Do I have to wait 5 days "after" incubation starts to candle the eggs?

Thanks..

Nope, theres no absolute way to tell its fertile before setting it that I'm aware of. You can crack them open and look for the bulls eye on the yolk to get an idea of fertility, but obviously you can't incubate those ;)

How early you can tell if they'regrowing depends on your eggs. If they're white, tan or brown eggs, I can usually tell by day 3 or 4. If they're blue, green or dark brown, it takes longer. Some of my hens lay eggs so dark I can never tell if they're growing, so I sniff them occasionally to check for off smells and they go into lockdown and hatch...or not.

A good rule of thumb is to keep them until day 10 if you aren't sure about them :)

Good luck!

ok. So (this is my first time trying this LOL).... but if I open the incubator say day 3 or 4 to check, how can I keep the temp and humidity inside if I have to keep checking? I have all brown eggs.

If you don't have an automatic turner, you'll have to hand turn your eggs. That means you'll have to open the incubator at least 3 times a day. When you pop the top, the temperature and humidity will plummet, and that's OK. If you had your eggs under a hen, she'd get up at least once a day for a break, which would leave the eggs to cool for a bit. Its normal and healthy for your eggs to cool a bit. When you close everything back up, the incubators thermostat will kick on and bring the incubator back up to temp and the humidity will go back up too :)

If you don't have an automatic turner, you'll have to hand turn your eggs. That means you'll have to open the incubator at least 3 times a day. When you pop the top, the temperature and humidity will plummet, and that's OK. If you had your eggs under a hen, she'd get up at least once a day for a break, which would leave the eggs to cool for a bit. Its normal and healthy for your eggs to cool a bit. When you close everything back up, the incubators thermostat will kick on and bring the incubator back up to temp and the humidity will go back up too
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom