Fertile eggs?

Pics
And the others all arefeatehring out 10X quicker. I know that probably means nothing but still, I find it odd how they are starting to get tail + shoulder feathers, yet this chick has yet to get any of that? Its probably nothing though.
I'm pretty sure you're seeing slow feathering (this chick) vs. fast feathering (the other chicks.)

If the father has fast feathering (which seems likely, given what you've said before), then this chick must have a slow feathering mother, and must be a male.

(Chicks with fast feathering could be either gender, since some of the mothers probably have fast feathering. On the other hand, if the father has slow feathering, then this slow chick could be either gender.)

I'm pretty sure you're seeing slow feathering (this chick) vs. fast feathering (the other chicks.)

If the father has fast feathering (which seems likely, given what you've said before), then this chick must have a slow feathering mother, and must be a male.

(Chicks with fast feathering could be either gender, since some of the mothers probably have fast feathering. On the other hand, if the father has slow feathering, then this slow chick could be either gender.)
Now that I think about it, the mother of this chick did feather out slowly. The only one who feathered out quickly (of the mothers here) is the leghorn. The orpington and the wyndottes feathered out slowly. ( their chicks are feathering out quickly) but I could be remembering things wrong.

Now that I think about it, the mother of this chick did feather out slowly. The only one who feathered out quickly (of the mothers here) is the leghorn.
So if the father did feather fast, then chicks from this mother will be feather-sexable (slow males, fast females.)

Chicks from the Leghorn (fast feathering) will not be feather sexable.

The orpington and the wyndottes feathered out slowly. ( their chicks are feathering out quickly) but I could be remembering things wrong.
From any slow feathering mother, if the father feathered out fast, the chicks should be feather-sexable (slow males, fast females).

So if the father did feather fast, then chicks from this mother will be feather-sexable (slow males, fast females.)

Chicks from the Leghorn (fast feathering) will not be feather sexable.

From any slow feathering mother, if the father feathered out fast, the chicks should be feather-sexable (slow males, fast females).
Got it. So they probably are females? Unless I am wrong about the male feathering out the way he did?

He was a quick feathering chick.
2 week old
6F60FEB8-8427-4350-9C66-D8550F6DC69F.jpeg
667012EB-5CA0-4969-A0F3-DF881AA5AFB3.jpeg
three weeks. Up there)
CFBDFA1E-916E-4BBA-8DA9-4E9897014089.jpeg
two months. That’s basically all the clear shots of him I got. Pretty sure he feathered out fast.

Got it. So they probably are females? Unless I am wrong about the male feathering out the way he did?
Based on your photos, yes he was fast feathering.

So with that father, any chick that feathers slowly, from any mother, must be a male. And the mother must herself be slow feathering, which means the rest of her chicks can be feather-sexed too.

But the fast feathering chicks have two options:
--their mothers feathered slow, and the chicks must be females
--their mothers feathered fast, and the chicks could be either gender

So there's a good chance of quite a few females, if you are right about most of the mothers being slow feathering.

I dont have a clear picture of the buff orp, or the GLW though. (Im going off of a blurry old picture of her at 1 1/2 moths old.) little to no feathers on her back. On the buff orp.) and the GLW I have no baby pictures of, all though, she was small and with little feathers. From what I remember anyways. So I am going to guess maybe.?? Judging by the chick? Heres the buff orp picture from before, ingore the mess, im better at cleaing up after them now.
5402D5D9-A6C8-47EB-BFF1-FED7E6F93260.jpeg
Heres them the day we bought them. (4/8/20)
CEF6FECC-A822-43D9-9C11-70532BB62A13.jpeg
4/23/20 thats all I got. Like I said, im better at taking care of chicks. These where actually my first few chicks. (Sorry if it’s late where you are)

Last edited:
I dont have a clear picture of the buff orp, or the GLW though. (Im going off of a blurry old picture of her at 1 1/2 moths old.) little to no feathers on her back. On the buff orp.) and the GLW I have no baby pictures of, all though, she was small and with little feathers. From what I remember anyways. So I am going to guess maybe.?? Judging by the chick? Heres the buff orp picture from before, ingore the mess, im better at cleaing up after them now.
Based on the photos, I'm not sure whether they are fast or slow feathering. All the ones in the photos appear to be feathering at the same rate as each other. It's easy to spot fast vs. slow feathering when there are some of each, but I have trouble when they all match.

So I guess we'll see as the chicks grow-- if any of the fast ones grow obvious male combs, that will be proof that at least one mother has fast feathering, which will mean that any others who matched her do too.
Sorry if it’s late where you are
Not a problem. I just don't answer when I'm sleeping or otherwise busy ;)

Based on the photos, I'm not sure whether they are fast or slow feathering. All the ones in the photos appear to be feathering at the same rate as each other. It's easy to spot fast vs. slow feathering when there are some of each, but I have trouble when they all match.

So I guess we'll see as the chicks grow-- if any of the fast ones grow obvious male combs, that will be proof that at least one mother has fast feathering, which will mean that any others who matched her do too.

Not a problem. I just don't answer when I'm sleeping or otherwise busy ;)
Yeah they all did feather out the same, all though I do remember the GLW being slow. So the one who is feathering out slowly, the one I showed before is probably a male.
Also here are some more chick pictures, 4 days apart. Same batch of chicks. White one is the leghorn.
Date bought: 3/15/20
Fist photo 3/17/20
Second photo 3/21/20

Attachments

• D2452D6A-A92D-4D5F-A20B-2CAAB06D34CA.jpeg
    D2452D6A-A92D-4D5F-A20B-2CAAB06D34CA.jpeg
    356.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 8C215113-87BB-4EAE-BEC7-E1A3807C4F48.jpeg
    8C215113-87BB-4EAE-BEC7-E1A3807C4F48.jpeg
    425.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Back