fertile eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kevlar, Mar 22, 2012.

1. kevlar

kevlar Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2011
    Okay i have a hen who is broody and I currently have her sitting on a few fake eggs but i am thinking I would like to try to see if she could hatch some chicks. I have one rooster and eleven hens and I was reading on this site and they say

Quote: How do you know for sure though? I don't really want to set eggs that are not fertile. I have been looking around the interweb and found that people say that when candled you will be able to see a dark circle if they are fertile. So I used a really strong flash light and a section of a tp roll and candled my eggs. I see a dark circle in all but one of my eggs but that one has a few small cracks in it. I am also not sure because most of the circles are near the base or wide end of the egg and was wondering if this is just an air bubble that all eggs have. Here are two pictures, any input would be appreciated =)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    only way I know to see if they are fertile is crack a few open and look for the white 'bullseye". I don't beleive the info that you can candle and egg to see, just not realistic. If that were so, why would any of us place clears in the bator?

If you have 1 roo to 11 hens, you should have good percentages. I also don't believe in 100%, I have a couple leghorns that won't allow the roo to catch them, yet I also have barred rocks that submit constantly and have bare backs. (Yes, I have saddles on them)

3. kevlar

kevlar Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks for the reply I think I agree. This morning I checked all the eggs I used for me and my boys omelets and every one of them was fertile[​IMG] . Me and the boys then went out to the garage and constructed a broody box for my hen that is sittin on golf balls. I hope she takes the transfer well I am going to go set it up in the coop rite now. here is a pick of the box we made her.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by