Fertile mille fleur eggs!

Matt0chick0love

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Kansas
Ok, if you read long enough there is a question.

We just got a new hen on the 30th of last month (in e middle of the night) her name is cream and she's a mille fleur. So when we where there to pick her up she was still there with a rooster, when I suspected she had been mounted, so I hoped the eggs she was laying were going to be fertile because in my town, roosters aren't allowed.

She layed the day after we got her, which actually was about 13 hours later. (The guy didnt lie that she was a good layer) then she skipped a day, layed on the 2nd and the third (yesterday)

So I cracked the egg that she layed Yesterday, and what do ya know? It's fertile! :D

Right now we have here in this large bin where we have food, water, bedding, and her eggs. I want to know how long until before she will sit on them and stop laying, because when she sits on them, it doesn't look Intentional because she's like sideways on them, or on the side of the bin avoiding them. Right now there are two eggs with her, and I'm not sure how much longer she will lay fertile eggs.

What do I do? This is our first time with fertile eggs, and she has raised chicks before, (they were there with here, and they just looked like exact copies, they were so cute!)
I wanted to put golf balls with here to encourage her to go broody, because I don't know how long the first egg will last, and we only have one shot, because we can't mount her again because we can't get rooster.

Should I let her keep laying until she goes broody, or should I try to make her go broody.

I've done alot of researching, but haven't completely awnser end my questions.

If anyone could help it would be fantastic! :D

Unfortunately I have no access to an incubator, and couldn't get one if I wanted.

I'm a newbie here, how do I get pics to go on the thread on an ipad? If anyone knows.

welcome-byc.gif

The only way you can do this without an incubator is to either leave her eggs in the box or replace them with golf balls and hope she goes broody. After being moved to a new home recently I honestly don't know if she'll go broody so soon though. A hen will lay fertile eggs for 2-3 weeks after her last successful mating, so chances are she will continue laying fertile eggs for awhile still. The eggs will only be viable for about 3 weeks though and personally I wouldn't suggest setting an egg that is older than 2 weeks. I think your best bet would be to artificially incubate them, in an incubator, if you can get one.

I also forgot to mention I have two silkies, and would like to know if they'd be of any help. One is not laying yet, (she's almost 6 months) and the other is over a year. The part that's funny to me is that the younger one is top of the pecking order.

The black one is youngest (peppa) and the white on is the oldest (salt). Maybe salt could sit on her eggs, because she hasn't been laying for a while, so I suspect she's broody.

We are new to chickens, so were ready to learn :D

Back
Top Bottom