Fertile????

Frizzle fran

Chirping
Aug 7, 2018
England
Hello, I had 5 chicks last summer so they are now around 8 months old. One of the hens has been sitting on her eggs for 12 days so I had a look with a light to see if anything inside. There's an air sac but no veining or sign of an eye, just a dark blob floating at the top. Why is there no chick?? I have 1 cockerel to 4 hens. I've believed the eggs to be fertile as I've seen the bullseye when I cook with them but am I wrong?? 1st time chicken keeper! Any help appreciated. Photo of an egg I collected today, is it fertile?
IMG_20190323_102721.jpg

Hello, I had 5 chicks last summer so they are now around 8 months old. One of the hens has been sitting on her eggs for 12 days so I had a look with a light to see if anything inside. There's an air sac but no veining or sign of an eye, just a dark blob floating at the top. Why is there no chick?? I have 1 cockerel to 4 hens. I've believed the eggs to be fertile as I've seen the bullseye when I cook with them but am I wrong?? 1st time chicken keeper! Any help appreciated. Photo of an egg I collected today, is it fertile?View attachment 1711153
Not fertile.
These are fertile:
fertile eggs.jpg

How old is your cockerel/rooster?

I didn't think it was . He is 11 months old, he's always been in with the 4 hens same age. Why would they not be fertile?? Quite disappointed! Poor hens still sat on 4 eggs

Are all the eggs from the same girl? What breed is he? Some of the males are more virile than others. He might also just have bad aim.

Are all the eggs from the same girl? What breed is he? Some of the males are more virile than others. He might also just have bad aim.
They are all silkies except one is a frizzle, but she took eggs off some of the others! No idea which are hers . He's always treading them so I just assumed they would all be fertilized! Black cockerel stormy
IMG_20180829_153344.jpg
IMG_20180829_153501.jpg

Yep that's a good-un! I have read that to help with fertilisation on Silkies you can trim thier bum fluff a bit to help with the process. Not tried it myself but just an option. I'd probably do a bit of random testing and open say 10 eggs (quiche for dinner :lol::ya??) and count how many are fertile as a % (but I'm a bit of a chicken geek with stuff like that!):lau

Good luck and here is to some gorgeous fluffy silkie chick pictures very soon!

Hello, I had 5 chicks last summer so they are now around 8 months old. One of the hens has been sitting on her eggs for 12 days so I had a look with a light to see if anything inside. There's an air sac but no veining or sign of an eye, just a dark blob floating at the top. Why is there no chick?? I have 1 cockerel to 4 hens. I've believed the eggs to be fertile as I've seen the bullseye when I cook with them but am I wrong?? 1st time chicken keeper! Any help appreciated. Photo of an egg I collected today, is it fertile?View attachment 1711153
Yup that is most certainly a fertile egg. Can you see the small cell (a dot) towards the lower right of the yolk? That means it is fertile.

Back
Top Bottom