Fertility float test???

Equimby88

Songster
Jun 10, 2018
Iv got 3 eggs left in an incubator that were due to hatch 3 days ago so I'm not sure if they are still alive. I tried the float test and then read so many different things. Can some one help me out lol. Are these eggs dead or alive
20181028_095724.jpg
20181028_095737.jpg

Are they wobbling?

When you do the float test, you have to be really careful. A lot of people won't do the float test at all. Firstly Make sure there are definitely no cracks chips or holes in the shell. Make sure you use warm water. They need to be put in one at a time and they only need to be in there for 10 seconds or less.

What you are looking for mainly is movement. If there is still a live chick in there, it will wobble the egg in the water.

If they sit too high above the water line I think that means they are no longer viable, but check on YouTube, there are plenty of clips on there telling you how to do it properly and what you are looking for.

Good luck.

There were no cracks and the water was warm I popped them in took the pic and dried them straight off and put them back. Problem with light candling I can't see anything it's all just really dark. I'm assuming the last 3 are dead any way as they are 3 days late and the others hatched on time. I will probably only give them another day or 2 and if nothing happens I'll just throw them away.

Ive only water candled once and it was at the end of day 22 when I thought there was probably no hope for my remaining 2 eggs. Well one of them wiggled pretty furiously and hatched the next day. The other, pretty much got nothing and when I finally opened it up, yeah it was bad.

I go two days from first one to hatch. Any not pipped by then never will.

This is assuming all eggs were from hens not any from pullets. Small pullet eggs or bantam eggs hatch 19 days.

It's first time iv ever done it too I just didn't want to have the bator on for 3 dead eggs.. my last hatch all hatched by day 22 and my last lot of duck eggs were all over the place from between day 28 and day 35.

Back
Top Bottom