Fertilized duck eggs disappearing

ericsgirlie

Songster
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Easton, MD
We have a broody indian runner and bought her some eggs to sit on. We bought 8 and now we are down to 4 only a week later. I tried to move her, but she was totally stressed out. I have a small dog crate and placed that where she had been sitting on the eggs, She seems to like that just fine, my question is.

• What could be eating her eggs (there are no signs of anything, they just disappear (we live in town :p).
  • Do you thing and open crate will help, or should we lock her in and let her out 1 or two times a day,
  • Now that she is in the crate, do you think she would allow us to move her?

Thank you,
Laura

Do you have a sneaky dog? Mine goes in and steals the eggs right out from under them.

It could be anything but probably something small or else I'd assume they'd rather eat the duck.

I wouldn't lock her up either. If she wants to sit she will....maybe tighten up the security around the yard to prevent the theft.

No dog, we used to have an egg suckin dog , but he would leave the shell. After 2 eggs disappeared, we put a fence up around her just to make sure the chickens were not gettind in :( So sad :(

She is pretty protected in the crate now (not snake proof) but definitely more protected, Should I just feed the snake? I put some unfertilized eggs in back of the crate, we will see if they disappear, If they do, I can just keep feeding it.

I heard limes deter them.

Back
Top Bottom