Fertilized egg from 12 wk old cockerel???

He's going to be huge for a rooster. Try not to over feed him, when he max out his size he might be too heavy for the hen. Don't want injuries occurring while he's mounting them.
Wow I never really thought of that yet, I'm a lil concerned now about the two bantams I have, my b.f. had to have two lights and two dark Brahma bantams (turns out they are not dark Brahma) but bantams none the less (pictured above) my two year olds are good size but he's passed them already..I was on Google looking at his breed and holy!!!! I was super surprised even though I do know they are generally big but I had this feeling, not only that from day one I knew he was a boy but maybe more hope it was a boy but this size thing I'm so glad I have the room..I have to rethink the Lil girls placement here to protect them.. Any info or suggestions welcomed!! please don't hesitate n thank u so much..yup he's gonna be a big one and he seems ravenous so this is good to know..pump the brakes lol.. Already alerted b.f. no extra treats, very few and stick to their food instead of hot dogs etc they get plenty free range he's pouting lol but gets it.. It's super important (which will hurt b.f. more than the roo to not get those treats lol) leave feeding to me please!!
What do I feed? I saw layers foods isn't good cuz to much calcium is that true??

Those Banties look nothing like Dark Brahma to me. While I am not a Bantie expert - I do have Dark Brahma and assume (I know, I know) that they would look **something** like the non-Dwarf version of the bird. Those brown critters do not.

As to a 12 wk old Brahma Roo doing the deed??? I highly doubt it. Brahma are not fast maturing birds. Neither the hens, nor the roosters, are doing anything reproductive at that age, in my (admittedly) limited experience. All my DB started egg laying around 7 months, makes no sense to have a young Roo, capable, 4 months earlier than the hens, and a full month before commercial, very early maturing, birds are expected to lay.

If the eggs are fertile, I strongly suspect another source.

Those Banties look nothing like Dark Brahma to me. While I am not a Bantie expert - I do have Dark Brahma and assume (I know, I know) that they would look **something** like the non-Dwarf version of the bird. Those brown critters do not.

As to a 12 wk old Brahma Roo doing the deed??? I highly doubt it. Brahma are not fast maturing birds. Neither the hens, nor the roosters, are doing anything reproductive at that age, in my (admittedly) limited experience. All my DB started egg laying around 7 months, makes no sense to have a young Roo, capable, 4 months earlier than the hens, and a full month before commercial, very early maturing, birds are expected to lay.

If the eggs are fertile, I strongly suspect another source.
Yeah we were thinking probly the wild chickens up here in Maine..lots of grouse

This is him and my two hens that are two.. then they all begging at my door.. Threw out some cracked corn 20210617_101505.jpg 20210617_102941.jpg 20210617_101401.jpg
He's huge lol
HIS LEGS THO.. Monstrous n still no where near grown in..all I can picture is this next pic (even tho this is a Columbian light Brahma in the pic I pulled off Google..(next)
FB_IMG_1623942320988.jpg

I agree with others, brahma roosters get huge and are often a problem with the hens (bantam or otherwise), unless the hens are large brahmas like him and can take his weight. Brahma roosters are rough on hens because they are so huge. You may need to keep him separate from the flock once he really gets going, or pen him with brahma hens.

I agree with others, brahma roosters get huge and are often a problem with the hens (bantam or otherwise), unless the hens are large brahmas like him and can take his weight. Brahma roosters are rough on hens because they are so huge. You may need to keep him separate from the flock once he really gets going, or pen him with brahma hens.

Yeah I'll definitely listen to your suggestions, was already thinking the same thank goodness the two bantams I have are quite content with being just the two not four and not too upset when just the two so I'll be doing that soon, my light pullet is quite large already but I'll definitely keep eye on the whole deal and the two hens I have that are two, are quite large birds as they are EEs but I will definitely assess the whole issue often, my girls need a roo, I'm in an area where I'm away from Rd completely, they never even get close but having a much aware bird in the flock and his lead will keep them safe-er cuz they get quite complacent and end up in the bushes where 4 of my chickens were taken summer before last by a fox using those bushes as cover to get them, so maybe they'll be a bit safer with his lead, he's super smart and ultra aware already, im quite impressed with him..
PS, I really want to control the chick happenings also, if it happens it happens but I'm not on a quest for babes, n although my two older ones aren't very broody who knows what will come if there eggs are fertile plus the upcoming pullets may be broody, but I'm hoping everyone holds off so some flock control may not be a bad idea later on when he's older..I don't think he's mounting the girls the fertile egg was a fluke it came from another source we have Lotsa grouse so there's other possibilities and they come into our yard frequently

Back
Top Bottom