Fertilized eggs- okay to consume?

swinva4

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2022
First off, I apologize for my ignorance as this is all very very new to me. Right now we have one hen and one roo, both coturnix. Not ideal, but the farm was supposed to send 2 hens and obviously did not sex one correctly so now we are waiting on a few other hens to balance it out. My hen just started laying after about a week, though today she was sitting on her egg in the nest. We did not want a roo because we do not want to breed/have any fertilized eggs. I know that fertilized eggs are okay to eat generally before they start the incubation process. My question is even if she is sitting on them, will they be okay to eat/not yet forming if I grab them 1-2x/day?

First off, I apologize for my ignorance as this is all very very new to me. Right now we have one hen and one roo, both coturnix. Not ideal, but the farm was supposed to send 2 hens and obviously did not sex one correctly so now we are waiting on a few other hens to balance it out. My hen just started laying after about a week, though today she was sitting on her egg in the nest. We did not want a roo because we do not want to breed/have any fertilized eggs. I know that fertilized eggs are okay to eat generally before they start the incubation process. My question is even if she is sitting on them, will they be okay to eat/not yet forming if I grab them 1-2x/day?
Yes, they're 100% safe to eat. This also goes with Chicken, & Duck eggs too.

Awesome! Thank you so much. Do you happen to know how long they would have to be sitting on them for the eggs to be considered no longer viable?
To no longer be edible, you mean?
Well, an embryo can be considered edible when it's steamed, & eaten. This is called Ballute(Excuse my spelling), which is often done with Duck eggs.

But about maybe between 3-6 days the first signs of development would be noticeable.

Most people would be grossed out frying up an egg with a fetus developing. So don't let any eggs go into that development. But it's up to you.

Back
Top Bottom