1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fertilized eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by buddy oakes, Mar 30, 2017.

1. buddy oakes

buddy oakes New Egg

Mar 27, 2017
    I have 3 olive egger hens and a rooster. They are all about 8 months old. Each hen lays everyday in the same nest. Sometimes there are 2 hens at one time In the box laying. If I just leave the eggs in there will they sit on them and when. Maybe I should get a couple more boxes. How do i know if the rooster is doing his job. All he does is eat a lot, keep the hens in a bunch and wake me up a 4 in the morning. I see chicken and dumplings but I paid 10 bucks for him. Help

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    "If I just leave the eggs in there will they sit on them and when?" There is a chance if you do this yes but your better off just waiting for them to go broody themselves.

"How do i know if the rooster is doing his job?" Well you can watch him and see if he does his little 'dance' with the ladies or you can crack open an egg and see if its fertile (there are other threads on how to do this)

"Maybe I should get a couple more boxes?" I would say its better safe than sorry! :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings again, buddy oakes, and [​IMG]! I agree with Cascadia - good luck with your rooster and hens!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under buddy oakes [​IMG] Welcome!

Thank you for the chuckle [​IMG]

I have 5 x bantam hens and 3 x nest boxes .. they squabble and queue over one nest box .. I reckon they could have a nest box each and two spare they would still squabble over the favourite.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

7. buddy oakes

buddy oakes New Egg

Mar 27, 2017
    Yeah - I'm pretty new at this but promised 9yr old grandson to help with 4-H project. Putting a couple dozen an incubator that I got from Tractor supply. Seems like a good waste of a few omelettes to me but we are giving it a shot. I'll keep you informed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by