Fertilized Eggs

divingmama2

Hatching
5 Years
May 5, 2014
Hello All! After starting my own backyard flock with 5 chicks earlier this year, my chicks have finally matured and are starting to lay eggs, yay! Only problem is that it turns out one of my hens is actually a rooster. I did not intend to raise chicks, I only want to have eggs. My question is this, if I collect the eggs daily and if they are by chance fertilized, can I prevent further development of the embryo by refrigerating? Or is there something else I should do?
I am contemplating finding a new home for my Roo to prevent any "accidents".
Any help you can give me would be very much appreciated!

Laura

As long as you collect the eggs each day, they will not develop. Fertilized eggs only really begin to develop when they are sat on by a hen (or put in an incubator) for several hours, at the proper conditions (99-103 degree F. temperature and 50% humidity). So unless your hens decide to go broody without you noticing, your eggs will be just like unfertilized eggs.

X2. I had a rooster for over a year with no egg "problems". It was nice to have the option of putting them in an incubator, but we never did. They were fertile too! I could see the bullseye mark on the yolks when I cooked with them.

Thanks for the reply. How do you deal with some of the "courting" behaviors of your Roo? My Barred Rock Roo chases after the hens and plucks out a beak full of feathers. I have heard this is typical "courting" behavior, but the hens seem less than pleased about this new development. Also, they are in a pen during the day when I am at work and while there is a fair amount of room, it's hard to escape an overly amorous rooster. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom