1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

fertilizer on the yard w/chickens - need answers please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by haeffnkr, Feb 29, 2008.

1. haeffnkr

haeffnkr New Egg

Feb 29, 2008
    Hello,
    My first post here...I found this site and am hoping someone can answer my questions with some experience.

I did live in rural Missouri with acreage and 20-40 chickens a few years ago...but I moved.....got married...and now.....I have no chickens for the last 6 years...

I live in a very nice suburban subdivision in St Charles county MO. now.
    I put on about about about 6-7 applications of fertilzer on my lawn per season - I like my lawn but I miss my chickens.
    I do have a irrigation system that runs almost daily.
    So assuming I can keep a about 3 chickens as pets, Does anyone have their chickens on a chemical/fertilized lawn?

I have already searched this site, and do not want to hear about corn based and organic fertilzers, I have heard of them from other lawn sites.... I live in a new subdivision with total crap soil that needs lots of fertilizer and water to stay green, and I want to keep it that way. Keep in mind my lot backs up to some common ground that that meets up with a large lake, that ground does not get fertilized per say, but does get some run off. I would guess the chickens would scratch around in that part of the yard.
    I have tons of earth worms in my yard....my yard started from nothing, literally - as my house and 100 more are all on fill with no original top soil what so ever...only core dirt and 1-2 inches of topsoil that came from the sod that was dumped on the core dirt/rocks..lots of rocks and clay.....so if the worms like the soil now and are thriving ...how bad can it really be for the chickens to eat some stray bugs that come around or some worms that they might find?

Does anyone have experience with this or am I crazy to be thinking of this plan?

thanks Kevin

2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I guess its a preference thing. If your cool with eating eggs from birds that may have injested chemicals, than I say go for it.
    Myself I wont feed the grass clippings untill after at least a week or two or several good rains to wash the grass.
    We sometimes use a tractor (portable coup) on the lawn with out worry cause its up off the ground a couple of inches so they can only get at the tips of the grass and I use the pellet fertalizer that falls to the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by