Fertilizing eggs

Jlw0903

Songster
Jul 2, 2019
So I was thinking of trying to hatch the eggs of a specific duck. Im curious about how long after mating will an egg be fertilized. For example of the mate in the morning today will the egg laid tomorrow likely be fertilized? Or would it be the following day etc? My girls lay very specific eggs and I know their behaviors quite well so if I can estimate such things I can be sure to only collect the eggs that are likely to be fertilized so that the ones that are not can be saved for eating.

Thanks!

Fowl retain sperm with high rates of fertility for up to two weeks after mating, moderate fertility up to three weeks and some fertility longer than that. If a duck has never been mated and is then bred about two days are needed for her eggs to be fertile as eggs 'in process' will most likely not be fertilized.

Fowl retain sperm with high rates of fertility for up to two weeks after mating, moderate fertility up to three weeks and some fertility longer than that. If a duck has never been mated and is then bred about two days are needed for her eggs to be fertile as eggs 'in process' will most likely not be fertilized.
Awesome thanks so much for that info! Sounds like it'll be pretty safe to assume all her eggs will be fertilized then.

Back
Top Bottom