Few chick questions

Toastyone

Songster
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
Reaford, NC
1. Do I need to have a roost in their temporary indoor house? They all seem to just lay in the corner with each other
2. In the past 12 hours they've drinken 1qt of water and about 1.5qts of chick feed, should they be eating more? I'm fairly sure you free feed chicks? I guess once I figure out what they are figuring out feed requirements will be easier.
3. Some of them look like they're trying to dust themselves in the shavings. Completely normal chick behavior? I checked for mites and don't see anything so could they just be bored?
4. Do they need some sort of stimulation? My hens like to climb up & slide down things, hunt for worms ect so do I need some sort of "toy" in the cage for them?

Quote:
1. How old are they? If they're over 3 weeks old and you can put a roost in easily, do it. Soon they'll start wanting to roost at night.
2. Free feed and water them.
3. Dusting is normal chicken behavior, it starts as chicks. If you want and can, put a small box of dirt in there. They'll love it.
4. Yes, they would like some stimulation. I put a tin of dirt and a clump of grass in when my first batch was younger, they loved it. I also threw in meal worms and crickets and cut up grapes for their interest.

They're 4 weeks old, or that's what the box said I bought them at a livestock auction. I'll get a perch in for them right away! and see what I can do about some lil worms. I was told by the people at the feed store that they shouldn't eat anything that isn't chick food until they're like 4 months old though. Is this not correct? We feed our hens a bunch of stuff table scraps, veggie tops, grass, weeds and we cook them hot porridge for cold winter days. Can the chicks have any of that?

All that stuff sounds fine, just make sure they have grit free-choice. I was giving my peeps greens and worms before they were a week old and they loved it! If they were out in the yard with mama, that is what they would be eating anyway.

What is a "grit free choice" My only knowledge of chickens is only of the ones that just ran randomly around my gparents and cousins farms lol They kind of just fed them what ever and they all think I'm crazy
smile.png

Buy some "chick grit" at your local farm store (it's smaller than poultry grit). Then do one of two things with it:

1. Put it in its own dish for the chicks to eat when they please/need
2. Sprinkle it into their food so when they eat they get grit.

I prefer #2... what I do is take the top off an 18 pack of eggs (without holes), rip it off the bottom and put some food and grit in it. The chicks get in and scratch around and eat food and grit.

Back
Top Bottom