Few quail ?'s

chicken_angler

Coop Constructist
11 Years
Jun 23, 2008
a house
1. What room do you keep your house quail in?

2. Do you use mason jar waterers, dog bowls, or gallon waterers? How many birds?

3. What type of bedding do you use? Can I use straw?

Thanks!

Cody!!

I dont have quail yet but I want a few.

I have a small house so mine are in the great room. I use mason jar waters most my cages have 2 or 3 birds I have 3 in my avairy too. They will be moving soon I have baby finches in the nest that will fledge I don't want to give the buttons toys
I use pine and Timothy hay for bedding.

Mine are in the basement and I use the plastic waterers or the pop bottle waterers. Mine are in cages on 1/2" hardware cloth. They poop ALOT.

Cody, I haven't forgotten to send your feathers...just keep forgetting to grab them on my way out the door!!!!

Most of my buttons are in the livingroom in aquariums. My little japanese bantam house chickens and my future cortunix quail (ordering eggs this spring) will go in the spare bedroom in a divided mesh sided 3x6' guinea pig cage.

I use water bottles. Same ones I used for my guinea pigs and hamsters. The button chicks are so tiny they have trouble pushing the ball for the first few days but after that they drink out of it fine. All my adult buttons and chickens of various ages have done fine with water bottles. They figure the bottle out within minutes.

Straw is not a good bedding by itself. It not only isn't absorbent but actually insulates moisture and keeps it from drying. Your pens will be wetter with straw than with no bedding. Always use a layer of shavings under hay or straw. I use pine and spruce shavings for both my indoor and outdoor pets.

I have to agree - DBF uses straw/hay in the chicken coop and it gets nasty fast. He tried mixing shavings in with it but it doesn't help much. In my chicken coop I only use shavings and it works wonderfully. I don't like to use shavings with the quail because it gets into the waterers (except the pop bottle ones) but I might have to try the regular water bottles. I do know they'll get used to anything if you start them out with it.

Living room. Coturnix in 3x2 stacking parrot cages, buttons in 3x2 finch aviary cages. Babies in aquariums.

I use plastic mason jar waterers and wish I didn't. They get nasty very fast and you have to rinse them out daily. I'm looking into getting some pop bottle waterers, just don't know if they'll fit between the bars of my cages.

I use aspen pine bedding. I'm allergic to straw and can't imagine it'd be good anyway since it's not absorbent. Big bales of 'horse bedding' are cheap, around $5 at farm stores, and lasts about two weeks for the few quail I have.

-Spooky

I am glad I read all the other post on here I never thought of water bottles I just have to rig a way to fit them on the tubs I use they I think would work much better then the mason jars! Now I have a challenge

Quote:
I keep my quails in my guess room that i turned into my *Pet room*

they drink water out of those jars and feed out of the feeders that baby chicks eat out of because quail like to scratch when they eat like chickens so i put there food in that so they don't throw it every where and waste it.

as for bedding i use the big bag of Cob .... you see in pets stores or Wal-Mart in a clear bag looks like cork pieces .. it works great for me it cost about $4
smile.png

my buttons are in a cage i made out of 2 storage bins i cut a hole in both bins and put them together like one giant cage with fake plants and things they love.

and i have a pair of normal size coturnix that stay with me i keep in a rabbit cage with fake plants and things and they love it

Back
Top Bottom