Few questions about emu egg incubation

Chickenpoor

Songster
Jan 3, 2011
Westminster, SC
Im planning to incubate a few emu eggs once my chicks finish hatching but I have a few questions before I start. This will be my first attempt at hatching emus.

- What is the incubation period for emu eggs and on what day do you put them in lockdown?

- What temperature do you incubate them at?

- What humidity do you incubate them at before lockdown and during lockdown?

If there is anything else yall think I should know about emu incubation please let me know. Like I said im totally new to emu incubation and I want to know every thing I need to know. Thanks for any and all help.

This is taken from Farmingfriends.com website..

Incubation Period

The incubation period for emu eggs is 43-50 days.

Incubation Temperature

The temperature in the incubator for emu eggs is 96.5-97 degrees fahrenheit.

Humidity Levels

The humidity level (wet bulb thermometer) for emu eggs is 70-75 degrees fahrenheit.

Final Day Of Egg Rotation

The final day of egg rotation for emu eggs is day 40-47.

Please note that all of this information is only a guide and that this information may differ according to the incubator manufacturer’s guide.

Always consult the manufacturer’s guide when using an incubator and automatic egg turner.

I have another question I was planning to make holders for the eggs so I could use my automatic turner. Do you put them pointy end down like chicken eggs or do you have to position them differently?

Pointy end down
smile.png

I have another question I was planning to make holders for the eggs so I could use my automatic turner. Do you put them pointy end down like chicken eggs or do you have to position them differently?

Pointy end down
smile.png
Sorry guys...

emu eggs are incubated and hatched on their sides
there is NO lockdown.. they are incubated dry unless weight loss dictates otherwise

This is taken from Farmingfriends.com website..

Incubation Period

The incubation period for emu eggs is 43-50 days.

Incubation Temperature

The temperature in the incubator for emu eggs is 96.5-97 degrees fahrenheit.

Humidity Levels

The humidity level (wet bulb thermometer) for emu eggs is 70-75 degrees fahrenheit.

Final Day Of Egg Rotation

The final day of egg rotation for emu eggs is day 40-47.

Please note that all of this information is only a guide and that this information may differ according to the incubator manufacturer’s guide.

Always consult the manufacturer’s guide when using an incubator and automatic egg turner.

so much wrong info..

Temperature can vary from 95.5 to 97.5..higher temperatures shouldbe discouraged since it promotes faster groth and results in weak chicks
length of incubation depends on the temperature.. it can go from an average of 50 days to 60 days depending on temperature
they should be incubated dry unless weight loss dictates otherwise
eggs should be weighed before being placed in the incubator and again once a week to determine if they are losing the correct amount of weight (15% +/- 1.2% weight loss during entire duration of incubation)
"final day of egg rotation" is determined by tap testing the egg to see if it has sounded. If it has not sounded it should be turned until it does or until it has been determined that the egg is bad
shipped emu eggs do best when hand turned a minimum of 3 times a day (rocking back and forth not over and over). I turn mine 5 times a day
Auto turners should be reserved for local eggs only and even then the ranchers found that they do hatch better when hand turned

Back
Top Bottom