FFA/4H programs for adults?

So I was looking into how to become an arborist, and the career site I found said you could so it with a BA in Horticulture. CSU offers that degree online, but it'll be $57,000 ;_; I have no clue if that's worth doing or not? There should be scholarships, but I've never been able to get any of the scholarships I've applied for in the past. Not sure if I should go for it or not - my mom thinks I might be okay. She thinks I'm young enough that the debt shouldn't hurt me too much?? I don't think 27 is that young lol
Cal state? Which campus? Honestly, an associate's would take you plenty far, but I absolutely will not try to discourage you from your B.A. !!

I may be able to help with scholarships and am OK at finding grants as well. I have my own academic load right now but will help if I can be of assistance. For my own part, I have been extremely adamant about NOT going into debt to get my education. I am almost halfway to my degree, and have been doing it at my own snail's pace (have 2 kids under 3, and 1 is special needs). Community college classes for the stuff I can do there, slow and steady, keep the GPA as high as possible. I get used textbooks (Craigslist has been a surprisingly good resource for these) or just buy the ebooks instead. Last year I was able to obtain grants which helped immensely. If you are set on being an aborist, I say go for it!!!! My major, while still agriculture related, is a little different but some of the classes are the same. I tell all my friends and family that I am paying thousands to get an education so I can be a broke @$$ farmer for the rest of my life, haha.

Enjoy your journey! And PM me if I can help in some way.

So I was looking into how to become an arborist, and the career site I found said you could so it with a BA in Horticulture. CSU offers that degree online, but it'll be $57,000 ;_; I have no clue if that's worth doing or not? There should be scholarships, but I've never been able to get any of the scholarships I've applied for in the past. Not sure if I should go for it or not - my mom thinks I might be okay. She thinks I'm young enough that the debt shouldn't hurt me too much?? I don't think 27 is that young lol
Oh. And I am 35, you have plenty of time to pursue your dreams. Plenty

Cal state? Which campus? Honestly, an associate's would take you plenty far, but I absolutely will not try to discourage you from your B.A. !!

I may be able to help with scholarships and am OK at finding grants as well. I have my own academic load right now but will help if I can be of assistance. For my own part, I have been extremely adamant about NOT going into debt to get my education. I am almost halfway to my degree, and have been doing it at my own snail's pace (have 2 kids under 3, and 1 is special needs). Community college classes for the stuff I can do there, slow and steady, keep the GPA as high as possible. I get used textbooks (Craigslist has been a surprisingly good resource for these) or just buy the ebooks instead. Last year I was able to obtain grants which helped immensely. If you are set on being an aborist, I say go for it!!!! My major, while still agriculture related, is a little different but some of the classes are the same. I tell all my friends and family that I am paying thousands to get an education so I can be a broke @$$ farmer for the rest of my life, haha.

Enjoy your journey! And PM me if I can help in some way.
Thank you! Which scholarships do you think I should look at? It's Colorado State University

You might want to join Justin Rhodes’ teaching group if you have good internet reception. I would if I did, but these days it’s rare that I can watch a YouTube video all the way through. I have only so much patience for the spinning icon of delay (or sometimes outright doom). That said, Rhodes went to some permaculture design school. I can’t remember the name of it, but he does seem very knowledgeable and is continuing to learn from his experiences of actually doing it. I see him starting out with a practice and gradually abandoning it as he seemingly finds it too cumbersome. (I’m thinking of fermenting/soaking poultry feed atm, which I watched him using less and less.)

Nor is he the only mentor you’ll have access to if you decide to check out his offerings. I should say that I don’t know him. I don’t particularly enjoy his style as I find it very wordy and a little narcissistic but you’ve gotta take the bad with the good. The couple of his ‘for pay’ vids I’ve seen have been better planned and much more succinct. The school, depending on how much you decide to pay, offers interaction with other students & presumably teachers in a Facebook group all the way up to personal coaching from Rhodes. It’s *much* more reasonable than a college education and you actually get knowledge you can use from people who are living the curriculum.

Look for him on YouTube He won’t be hard to find.

Thank you! Which scholarships do you think I should look at? It's Colorado State University
Let me look real fast, may be tougher since you are an out of state student. I'm familiar with the California system mostly, but will get back to you shortly.

Looks like for nonresidents you need to be enrolled in on-campus classes and not have attended another college or university. There are other options out there, I am sure. Start by filling out the FAFSA application and then go from there. You may be able to find grants too, there are a ton of them geared towards all sorts of people

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190819-091533.png
    Screenshot_20190819-091533.png
    444.9 KB · Views: 2
Looks like for nonresidents you need to be enrolled in on-campus classes and not have attended another college or university. There are other options out there, I am sure. Start by filling out the FAFSA application and then go from there. You may be able to find grants too, there are a ton of them geared towards all sorts of people
Cool thank you for your help :) I plan on enrolling soon

Cool thank you for your help :) I plan on enrolling soon

Watch out for the debt. You live with it for many years! And it can weigh you down from, for example, investing in your business.

If there’s a community college that offers relevant courses, in many state systems the credits will transfer to the state U. Find out first! Community colleges are so much cheaper! If you keep your grades up like @ShannonR advises, you may be able to get a scholarship. Look into it and hunt it down! You might save yourself thousands, or tens of thousands of dollars! You’ll be so grateful when you are my age!

(Spoken by an old gal with a Ph.D.)

Watch out for the debt. You live with it for many years! And it can weigh you down from, for example, investing in your business.

If there’s a community college that offers relevant courses, in many state systems the credits will transfer to the state U. Find out first! Community colleges are so much cheaper! If you keep your grades up like @ShannonR advises, you may be able to get a scholarship. Look into it and hunt it down! You might save yourself thousands, or tens of thousands of dollars! You’ll be so grateful when you are my age!

(Spoken by an old gal with a Ph.D.)
Well said. My mom is getting ready to retire and will still be paying off her student loans after retirement. There is no way I would saddle myself with that kind of debt

Well said. My mom is getting ready to retire and will still be paying off her student loans after retirement. There is no way I would saddle myself with that kind of debt

OMG!

That’s awful! My neighbor just told me she is going to study at a very expensive school for a masters degree in counseling. Around here, that’s never going to pay well.

Back
Top Bottom