FFA Kid Trying to Find the Right Breed!

Zillapher

Hatching
Nov 28, 2015
Arizona
Hi guys, I'm an FFA kid looking to raise chickens for my project this year!
big_smile.png
My plan is to raise three hens till they're feathered out to show at the county fair (with the rest of my chapter) and then sell them. This will be my third time raising chickens at my own house (I've raised plenty of broilers at my school), but before I was just raising them till they were off heat and then selling them back to their breeders. I have a list of requirements and for all my research I'm still at a bit of a loss for what breed I should get.

1. They HAVE TO be heat tolerant. It easily gets to be 110 degrees here. It almost never gets to be freezing here, so cold tolerant doesn't matter.
2. They have to be an official breed for me to show them, so no Easter eggers or sex linked.
3. The quieter, the better. I live in an urban area and even though chickens are legal, I have a neighbor who will complain if they get TOO loud (hence why I won't be raising roosters).
4. The better looking/fancier, the better! They don't necessarily have to be show breeds, but it wouldn't hurt!

If I can only find one breed that works, I'll just raise three of that kind, but if I can find three different breeds, I'll raise one of each. I don't care if they are good egg layers, their egg color, or whether they are full sized or bantams.

Any suggestions or questions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Talk to your county extension agent and see what breeds might be available in the area. The agent should know someone that knows.

Get on the Arizona thread and chat with your neighbors. They should have local knowledge that can help you plus who knows what they might have available.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/31227/arizona-chickens

Can you find out who is running the show at the county fair and see if they have divisions and classes available? Your extension agent should be able to help you with this. That might help you decide on breeds.

Back
Top Bottom