Fiddleheads---a Springtime Treat!

frugal

Songster
11 Years
Aug 9, 2008
NEK, Vermont
Fiddleheads are harvested for a short time in the Spring on the heels of Maple Sugaring season. They're the first fresh vegetables we eat each year and they sure are delicious!

Fiddleheads are a bright green fern with a brown paper like overcoat. They're found near water in shady areas. The woodlawn ferns (away from the water) will often make you ill.

University of Maine Online Publication
Fiddleheads are the young coiled fern leaves (about an inch in diameter) of the ostrich fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris). Nearly all ferns have fiddleheads, but those of the ostrich fern are unlike any other...

FiddleheadFirstView.jpg

Fiddleheads as they first begin to pop out of the ground.

FiddleheadNearlyReady.jpg

If they are out of the ground far enough to get a finger around the fiddlehead to snap it off, they're ready to pick!

FiddleheadJustPicked.jpg

A freshly picked fiddlehead.

FiddleheadStillGood.jpg

The fiddleheads are still good to eat as long as they still have some of their brown coat still on.

FiddleheadTooFarGone.jpg

Too far gone—all green, they've completely shed their brown coat.

clean1.jpg

Notice the brown coat on the fiddleheads? These need to go away!

clean2.jpg

To clean the fiddleheads I put them in a wire basket and head to the stream.

clean3.jpg

And let the tumbling action caused by the stream do the work...not quite clean.

clean4.jpg

Clean and ready to cook.

clean6.jpg

Sauteed up with butter and garlic...yummy!

smile.png

That looks very interesting! We just might have to go fiddlehead hunting here and see if we can find any back by our creek.

Thanks for taking the time to post this!
smile.png

the taste of fiddle heads is kinda like a cross between spinich and brussel sprouts with out the bitter bite.
Its a rite of spring, collecting , cleaning cooking and enjoying a steaming bowl of fiddles.

I put a splash of vinear on yummy.

Quote:
LOL, if you ask 10 people how fiddleheads taste you'll get 10 different answers! Mine is a cross between Asparagus and Brussel Sprouts, sweet and succulent and no bitterness.

Quote:
It sure is a rite of Spring around the northern climes. Our growing seasons are so short these early vegetables are very welcomed and did I mention they're FREE.

I love them with vinegar also and have found them just so-so with Maple Syrup.

smile.png

I love your post. They're so colorful and full of fun information. I've heard of eating fiddleheads, but never have tried it. Wonder if they're still coated down here in the south?

Really, you should write and photograph for "Country Living" magazine or some similar.

WOW! Look Yummy!

...so you can use any fern?

I have big green ones growing my the pond and creek. I don't know what find. Would these be safe to eat or only certain ferns?

Many thanks for sharing this!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom