Field Greens for Geese

NevadaEmma

Songster
Mar 24, 2021
I am planting a supplemental plot for my geese as we do not have a great amount of grass and what we do have is mostly salt grass. We live in the high desert of northern Nevada.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for seeds to plant that the geese like. In particular has anyone offered their geese lentil plants? I know they like the seeds, but wondering if they would like the plant.

Thanks,

I have no idea about the lentils but I’ve planted pacer forage turnip, clover, and dandelions and my geese love it.

Keep in mind though, whatever you plant you have to keep the geese off of until it’s mature, or the geese will destroy it before it’s even noticable.

Yes, this is my husbands project but he never got around to putting up a proper fence! So they gobbled up everything that they liked and left the rest. The rest was Canola and Collard Greens which they would not touch. He bought a Garden Cover Crop which was not supposed to have Canola but it is growing nicely! I can probably put it in my compost so not the end of the world.

The supplier said they would replace the seed he bought, but their choices are very limited for a mixture. I do not want to buy 25 lbs of something else they will not eat that I then have to harvest for my compost pile.

BTY My female goose is due to hatch in about a week. She only has 4 eggs under her, but she seems happy with that amount. I ended up finding a new home for her "mate" and she seemed not too bothered and much more relaxed now. I think it was him that was making her uncertain and not wanting to sit.
Thanks again, Cara

Well I mentioned you grew dandelions for your geese and within a few minutes my husband had purchased dandelion seeds! I guess this has now turned into my project.

Part of this plot is my new garden area. I find that I do not enjoy tramping around the property quite as much as I did 15 years ago. I did fence my part of the plot off though; the geese are not too happy about not having access to my plantings.

I think I may order some type of pea since this is a new area for growing, the extra boost of the legumes will be good and I know from experience that the geese love the tender pea shoots.

Well I mentioned you grew dandelions for your geese and within a few minutes my husband had purchased dandelion seeds! I guess this has now turned into my project.

Part of this plot is my new garden area. I find that I do not enjoy tramping around the property quite as much as I did 15 years ago. I did fence my part of the plot off though; the geese are not too happy about not having access to my plantings.

I think I may order some type of pea since this is a new area for growing, the extra boost of the legumes will be good and I know from experience that the geese love the tender pea shoots.
Pacer forage turnip will also improve soil, forgot to mention that.

I looked up the pacer forage turnip. It looked like it might be something they may not eat, although you say yours love it. They really disliked the Canola and the Collard Green in the mix that my husband purchased. I may try to get a small amount and give it a try. If nothing else, compost!

Mine have a barley patch. Not much but weeds grow on my property. I also sprout fodder for them. They get pasture for about 45 days in the spring then it drys up I have a area I water with barley from the feed store and keep it watered. oats and wheat work to. I also sprout barley for them they love it

Lettuce is super cheap and easy to grow. Can buy 1000 seeds for $2-3. You could also try rye grass. It also grows really fast and is very tasty.

I have gotten together an order for a variety of seeds including barley, rye, wheat, austrian peas, so far. I may add buckwheat and some type of grass, maybe sudan grass as is common in the winter here in the high desert of Northern Nevada

I am thinking of doing a rotation grazing similar to what is done with livestock on some of the farms here, but on a much smaller scale. The peas and wheat will be for the cooler weather and the sudan grass.

The saltgrass is so invasive and the roots can be over a foot deep so getting rid of it is virtually impossible. The geese will eat new growth, but it is much too tough once it matures.

Today though I hear a new little gosling peeping from the incubator! Hopefully there will be another to keep it company.

Back
Top Bottom