Field Greens for Geese

I have gotten together an order for a variety of seeds including barley, rye, wheat, austrian peas, so far. I may add buckwheat and some type of grass, maybe sudan grass as is common in the winter here in the high desert of Northern Nevada

I am thinking of doing a rotation grazing similar to what is done with livestock on some of the farms here, but on a much smaller scale. The peas and wheat will be for the cooler weather and the sudan grass.

The saltgrass is so invasive and the roots can be over a foot deep so getting rid of it is virtually impossible. The geese will eat new growth, but it is much too tough once it matures.

Today though I hear a new little gosling peeping from the incubator! Hopefully there will be another to keep it company.
I think your doing great. Its so hard in our areas where many things dont grow to come up with a solution. I did find that my spare shower sprouting worked best as the fill in and trying to keep something growing for them at the same time. we have been in such a drought here. keep up the great work you will find what works for you. Im feeding over 30 geese/goslings this year they all look good so hopefully we both will get our fall fat on for a healthy winter.

Thanks for the good words!

A friend just brought me some tender lettuce from her garden for my husband. I gave some to the geese and they just loved! Then I went to delivery a birthday gift to my neighbors daughter and noticed the tender large dandelions in their yard. He kindly let me take some for the geese. Happy, happy geese today. I may rethink doing lettuce. I do not like the tender soft lettuce to eat myself, but if will be worthwhile I think to grow them for the geese.

The neighbor said to come by anytime and pick the dandelions out of his lawn. I offered to bring the geese over to mow it for him! But then I do not want them getting used to going into their yard.

Back
Top Bottom