Fight against illegal easter chicks!

Easter chicks are illegal but selling them is still going on!... If you see them in a shop, don't hesitate to save them!
Buying the chicks just means that the shop sells them and makes a profit, so they offer more next year.

That's a good point. What would you do in that situation?
Find who to report it to, and do report it.

If it is illegal, that means there is a law against it. Laws usually have a penalty. So you report the business, they suffer whatever penalty. The penalty is probably a fine, and paying a fine cuts into their profit, so they may decide not to offer illegal chicks the next year.

Last edited:
Watch the link below. Tell me what you think:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TdYSIFO5654&ved=2ahUKEwiTt5qz8O7vAhWxh_0HHSpVCZoQo7QBMAR6BAgCEAE&usg=AOvVaw3kV0ditpHR5D708NgQTfLk

Easter chicks are illegal but selling them is still going on! The babies don't deserve to be thrown away like garbage. We have to raise awareness, chicks are living, innocent creatures, not toys you can just throw away after a day. If you see them in a shop, don't hesitate to save them!
What did you think of this video by The Dodo?
I wish there was a way to adopt rescued chicks to give them a great home- I'd sign up for it immediately!

It's not just chicks; bunnies and ducklings are also in danger of this

What danger are you talking about?

Being dyed? (It is quite possible to dye chicks without harming the chicks, so the only harm it does is make them more attractive to certain buyers, usually the ones who do not know how to raise the animals properly.)

Being sold in the spring? (Lots of responsible people also buy baby animals in the spring-- it is the natural time for them to be hatched/born.)

Being bought by people who will not properly care for them? Yes, that is a problem, but the only "solution" I can think of is educating people. I have never yet seen a rule that would block all sales to irresponsible owners, but allow sales to responsible ones.

That article says the governor banned ALL chick sales in that area. Do they also have a ban on chicken keeping? If not, where do they think people will get chickens?

Just for the record: I agree that it is bad for people to buy chicks or any other animal, if they are not willing and able to provide proper care. But I have problems with any solution or law or rule that I have ever seen about it. They tend to cause other problems, and often do not work well enough anyway.

What danger are you talking about?

Being dyed? (It is quite possible to dye chicks without harming the chicks, so the only harm it does is make them more attractive to certain buyers, usually the ones who do not know how to raise the animals properly.)

Being sold in the spring? (Lots of responsible people also buy baby animals in the spring-- it is the natural time for them to be hatched/born.)

Being bought by people who will not properly care for them? Yes, that is a problem, but the only "solution" I can think of is educating people. I have never yet seen a rule that would block all sales to irresponsible owners, but allow sales to responsible ones.

That article says the governor banned ALL chick sales in that area. Do they also have a ban on chicken keeping? If not, where do they think people will get chickens?

Just for the record: I agree that it is bad for people to buy chicks or any other animal, if they are not willing and able to provide proper care. But I have problems with any solution or law or rule that I have ever seen about it. They tend to cause other problems, and often do not work well enough anyway.
Yes: I believe the dangers are that it is illegal to colour and sell chicks that are that age and also, as you said people not being properly educated on how to care for them and just buy them on impulse (or persuaded by kids) with no preparation.

I don't live in that area so I don't know about the particular laws about chicks- also I don't know how old that website is. Responsible people should be allowed to keep poultry: I totally agree with that!

I have never heard of Easter chicks being illegal. Dying a chick a color does not harm it if you use proper dyes. And lost of people naturally buy Chris around Easter since it's warner than early spring

I have never heard of Easter chicks being illegal. Dying a chick a color does not harm it if you use proper dyes. And lost of people naturally buy Chris around Easter since it's warner than early spring
I feel like dying them is not humane, and they get thrown away because people dont realize how much work chickens are to take care of

Back
Top Bottom