fighting chicks

Grass

Songster
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Salem,Ohio
this years my first year trying to raise chickens.figured i'd startout with 12 and go from there....heres the story
have had 9 rhode island reds for a couple weeks now.just went got 3 more to add to the flock these are Ameraucanas.... one of them is just pecking like crazy on the rhode island reds ....wondering if i should take it out place it by it'self in a cage .....or it it possible it's just a rooster ad trying to set pecking order?don't want to loose any because of one bird

You need to seperate all three for about a week to let the rhode reds to get use to them. If this doesnt help your roo is just mean and you might have to give him away.

What size brooder do you have them in? At 2 weeks they don't usually fight seriously enough to hurt one another but they need plenty of room to run and play and get away from each other. If it's warm where you live, can you put them in a contained area outside in sunshine and fresh air on grass?

thanks for the replies
i have them in a large dog cage in the house for now.
going to start on a coop in a week or so.it's still kind of cold here right now to be putting them outside only been in the 70's a couple day so far this springs

At two weeks old they would love being outside in the sun in their dog cage. 70s in the sun will be quite warm for them. In fact, keep an eye on them to make sure they don't start panting and get too hot. I usually try to put the cage in a place where they have part sun and shade and I find they will be in the shady area to take their naps. Being placed under direct sunlight, even in 70s, is a more natural warmth than a closed brooder at 80.

My one week olds were chirping at the top of their lungs to be let out of their cage in coop this morning and moved to their cage outside - it was 65 this morning - warming up now but is sunny, low 70s, and they are running around having a ball.

Back
Top Bottom