Fighting guinea cocks?

Henry&Friends

Crowing
5 Years
May 6, 2018
West Virginia (mountain momma)
We have three guineas, which seem to be 2 cocks and 1 hen. I don’t like them— they’re loud and they’re mean to my chickens. My mom got them, and I don’t want to get anymore.

Last night, I went outside and fed my chickens a scoop of feed, and fed my chicks a scoop of feed. The guineas were eating food with my chickens, when the two boys started fighting. They knock their heads together, pull feathers and throw each other against one another. Normally, they’ll fight for a minute then go back to doing guinea things, but last night they kept going at it. One bird had obviously beaten the other, had a firm grasp on his neck feathers and was trying to mount the other, while the other fought to get away. He got free, and ran across the yard, with the winner chasing him. He chased him for a solid 3 minutes until they ran in front of me and I stepped between them. One ran left and one ran right, then both looped around and met back up with the chickens and the guinea hen.

they started fighting again! :he This time they fought for a half minute until my rooster joined in, spurring both and crowing for a few minutes. Then they all went to bed like good pals :idunno

Are my guineas going to kill each other? Do I need to pull out a male, and how would I do that? They free range, and have so much space to get away, but after watching one chase the other so far and so long I worry now.

We have three guineas, which seem to be 2 cocks and 1 hen. I don’t like them— they’re loud and they’re mean to my chickens. My mom got them, and I don’t want to get anymore.

Last night, I went outside and fed my chickens a scoop of feed, and fed my chicks a scoop of feed. The guineas were eating food with my chickens, when the two boys started fighting. They knock their heads together, pull feathers and throw each other against one another. Normally, they’ll fight for a minute then go back to doing guinea things, but last night they kept going at it. One bird had obviously beaten the other, had a firm grasp on his neck feathers and was trying to mount the other, while the other fought to get away. He got free, and ran across the yard, with the winner chasing him. He chased him for a solid 3 minutes until they ran in front of me and I stepped between them. One ran left and one ran right, then both looped around and met back up with the chickens and the guinea hen.

they started fighting again! :he This time they fought for a half minute until my rooster joined in, spurring both and crowing for a few minutes. Then they all went to bed like good pals :idunno

Are my guineas going to kill each other? Do I need to pull out a male, and how would I do that? They free range, and have so much space to get away, but after watching one chase the other so far and so long I worry now.
They are acting like guineas act. My recommendation is that you rehome all 3 of them to a place that has more guineas. They are a flock bird and will do better in large groups.

They are acting like guineas act. My recommendation is that you rehome all 3 of them to a place that has more guineas. They are a flock bird and will do better in large groups.

I can’t rehome them as they’re my mom's, but I did chew her out for only getting 4– one went missing months ago. I’ll keep an eye out for guineas around though, because I’d be living the dream if I could give them away, lol.

Aweno pe weko tal wiye - Acholi Proverb
The guinea fowl cannot reject its bald-head,the Zebra cannot do away with its stripes.
Said of manners – usually bad ones – which are difficult to get rid of.

Back
Top Bottom