Fighting hens??

Granny23

Songster
Aug 2, 2021
Fontana, California
2 of my RIR hens were fighting today!! First time ever! They are sisters and almost 2 yrs old. No blood drawn after 2 fights but it was wild seeing it. I told my granddaughter to leave them to figure it out. I only have 6 hens and no rooster.
My barred rock seems to be the mistress of the group as she is the one who complains the most to them or me....you're in my spot...the door isn't open...the food is getting low etc so I didn't think it was for top hen position.
Why would this obvious disagreement happen now after 2 yrs with nothing? Ive seen them chase each other and other hens but today they were puffed up and jumping up kicking each other in the face...chest bumping...like roosters fight.
Was it right to let them hash it out??

As long as no one is injured (a few missing feathers is fine, or spotty damage on the comb) I wouldn't worry about it. Hens will fight to try and move up the pecking order, or to maintain status quo, so it's normal. But it can be pretty wild to see!

As long as no blood is drawn, let them at it, someone should give in eventually. Very possible they're setting up a pecking order between themselves.
As long as no blood is drawn, let them at it, someone should give in eventually. Very possible they're setting up a pecking order between themselves.
Thank you! That's kinda what I figured. Just checking.

Back
Top Bottom