Fighting roos

classless chickens

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
Elkton
Hi All, I haven't been on in while...so happy new year!
I am dealing with 2 roosters who have been fighting. They are all bloody when I come home from work...no real bad wounds. However, the other day I can home and the one Rooster had its beak broken by the other rooster. I have since separated them, not sure of the extent of damage to the beak. I am afraid to touch it and risk it not healing up. Any way here is the senario..... 8 hens and 3 roosters, yes 3! 4 guineas. There is the rooster that has been around for about 2 years, then the rooster that is 1 yr old and then the 6month old. The 2 yr old WAS the head of the flock and now is dealing with a broken beak. Also missing his ladies
sad.png
I am not sure at this point what to do? I am looking for suggestions. I have already tried giving 2 away, but no one wants either of them. #1 (was) is a cuckoo marans #2 is a silver laced wyandotte, #3 is a buff orpington. Do I keep trying to get rid of one/two or do I cull and savor the rewards. Keep in mind I have never culled. Not sure I can do it. (please tell me how easy it is)
Lisa

The answer is obvious - get more hens!!

Seriously, though, I had the same problem, but with "only" two roos. They got along fine for two years then fought. The winner injured himself on the fence wire trying to attack the other roo, who ducked and ran, the winner would hit the fence...he broke off both spurs, cut the bottom of one foot and the top of one toe, and broke off another toe nail. I had no other place to put him, either, and not enough hens to share anyway, so we ended up culling him. He was a sex link, and no meat to speak of, so we didn't eat him. I had already tried to find a home for one or both roos, with no luck.

I have heard others suggest a "bachelor pad" for the boys, it seems they are less likely to fight without hens to fight over. Maybe the injured one can heal up and go back with the girls, and the other two could have their own space somewhere away from the rest...

The first question with the broken beak is, can he eat and drink? Then you need to do something so it doesn't get infected...I'd suggest posting that question on the Injuries section - you'll get lots of advice there.

Good luck.

I have two roos with NO hens around them, raised together from day old chicks...and they just randomly tried to fight to the death one day...had to use a stick to separate them and blood everywhere. From what more knowledgeable people have told me, sometimes it just happens...blame rooster hormones:( If they can reestablish a pecking order, they will probably be fine if you want to risk it, but if one or more refuse to back down and be submissive, its pretty much hopeless:(

Both in terms of cocks fighting each other, or safety with children and all other management issues with roosters, it is good to remember that these are instinctive creatures. The may have been domesticated, but underneath are still purpose driven wild foul. They are designed to fight to defend their hens, but that also means they can fight you, your kids, or each other. They have huge muscles, claws, spurs, wicked wings and a beak that is a weapon.

Seeing them purely as pets is oft times misguided in the face of the realism. Doesn't hurt to say this once in awhile.

Back
Top Bottom