Fighting Roosters & Pinless Peepers

That temperature thing can determine sex in certain reptile eggs. Not all reptiles but a few. So temperature can change the sex of the hatchlings. But that is reptiles. Chickens are not reptiles.

It doesn't work that way with chickens. The hen determines the sex of a potential chick when the egg is formed based on which sex-linked genes she passes on. Sorry to inject science into this but that's where mythology meets reality.

If you want to, by all means try it. Have fun with it. Since the sex is predetermined by the hen if you have any effect it will be to reduce hatch rate. But see for yourself.

I will interject some more reality. Many of my hatches, whether in the incubator or under a broody hen, have maybe 3/4 of the chicks one sex or the other. It could be more males, it could be more females. Over time it averages out to 50-50 but if you just look at two or thee hatches it can be really skewed. So don't try it once and think you've reached a conclusion. You only have one data point, you'll need many more you can average out before you have any proof.

So good luck and have fun with it. Nothing wrong with having fun.

That temperature thing can determine sex in certain reptile eggs. Not all reptiles but a few. So temperature can change the sex of the hatchlings. But that is reptiles. Chickens are not reptiles.

It doesn't work that way with chickens. The hen determines the sex of a potential chick when the egg is formed based on which sex-linked genes she passes on. Sorry to inject science into this but that's where mythology meets reality.

If you want to, by all means try it. Have fun with it. Since the sex is predetermined by the hen if you have any effect it will be to reduce hatch rate. But see for yourself.

I will interject some more reality. Many of my hatches, whether in the incubator or under a broody hen, have maybe 3/4 of the chicks one sex or the other. It could be more males, it could be more females. Over time it averages out to 50-50 but if you just look at two or thee hatches it can be really skewed. So don't try it once and think you've reached a conclusion. You only have one data point, you'll need many more you can average out before you have any proof.

So good luck and have fun with it. Nothing wrong with having fun.
As I stated I dont do eggs nor do I own a roo it was just a suggestion for her to try

They have 2,500 sq ft of fenced space and four of the roosters are 5 months old, but my aggressor is almost a year old. The four 5 month old roosters get along great, hatched and grew up together. My chickens are pets and I love to watch them...I spend a lot of my time outside with them, to the point they run to me to be picked up. I want to keep them all, that is why I want to know if there is anything else I can use besides peepers. I can separate the aggressor, but then I feel bad because he desperately wants to get out and be with all of the other chickens. I know my wants and thoughts are not ideal when it comes to raising chickens, I was just hoping there may be something I can purchase or do so that I can keep them all.
In the pet chicken group I’m a part of we do what we call Bachelor flocks. Roosters can cohabitate together so long as they have no hens to fight over. I’m in a similar boat with you and am trying my damndest to get a bachelor pad set up asap as it’s Finally good enough weather...I seem to have one Roo that is taking the brunt of the beatings so I currently have him inside. The rest don’t battle to the death but they All pick on this one guy. I hear you and understand how you feel, I would also Never suggest something so heartless and simply killing them. There’s different types of chicken people and you’re my type. We don’t kill our animals because they were bought for pleasure. If you’re on FB we would Love to have you join us on Pet Chickens. Our group even made the news a few years ago lol making pet chickens a thing before it was the thing! 😘 best luck, hope to see you on fb!

Back
Top Bottom