Fighting

Mgolke02

Hatching
Oct 9, 2023
Hello. So long story short, about 6 weeks ago a couple of my chickens were attacked by a dog. Since then they have all been separated in separate cages inside of the coop and have healed up nicely for the most part. About a week ago I was able to finally release one of the hens back into the flock and everyone was fine. Then today I tried to release a second one but a fight broke out and had to be separated again. How should I go about handling this? Also this hen is really struggling to grow her feathers back after the attack and some seem to be growing in sideways or crooked. Do I have to wait til all her feathers are back before being released with the others if that’s even possible at this point with how “aggressive” she’s being to the others. Also a couple days ago it looked like a blood bath in her cage and she had dried blood all over her. Didn’t know what it was from til later that day I spotted her trying to fight one of the hens through her cage which is probably how she got hurt. Please help.
EAB908C2-7E50-433D-8982-5D2ADFD503A8.jpeg

Some feathers may not grow back until molt time. It sounds like you have done the best you could with keeping birds insight of the rest of the flock, but every time a bird goes in or out of a flock the pecking order needs to be reestablished. You may need to treat this bird like a lone new comer. Provide plenty of food and water choices that are not in sight of each other. Make sure there are plenty of places to hide.

Back
Top Bottom