Figuring out what made my hen sick after I was gone for a month.

You might want to isolate her in a pen and retreat with Corid, feeding her scrambled egg and wet mash made with Corid along w her regular feed. That way she won’t drink unmedicated water. If she is sick might be too much on her to free range.

Crop is 100% empty this morning. Small amount of poop. It was milky colored with small grainy bits of green in it. The whole poop was the texture of mucus.
As far as molding her underside is mostly bare. I don't know if this is molting or normal because until this illness, picking her (or any of them) up was a challenge. I will add a pick of her belly. She's so scrawny it's rediculess.

Attachments

• received_470031540986687.jpeg
    received_470031540986687.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 3
She appears emaciated. Has she been broody recently? With chickens, it can be hard to know if they have cancer, reproductive disorders, organ failure, or even Mareks disease, without getting a necropsy after death. Post a picture of the poop in case anyone has any thoughts. Many people lose a chicken now and then, but after having a rough month, it is hard to know if that is the reason or not. Here is a list of state poultry vets who can perform a necropsy if you lose her:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

She is absolutely emaciated. Her energy levels are worse now than they were when I got back from La. She really perked up 3 or 4 days into the Corid treatment. She was clearly underweight, but was back to being active and was feeding and drinking well. Behaviorally she was 95% back to normal. The only thing that was off, was she would get on the roost about 10-15 minutes before the rest of the girls. Over the last 3 days she has taken an extreme nose dive.

Being honest, if she had been this bad off when I got home, I'd have put her down. I don't want to give up on her, but I don't want her to suffer either. Is there hope for her? If someone has ideas, please share them... this is last ditch efforts. Unless she does something to give me hope, this will be her last day.

She currently has no desire to walk anywhere. She gets tired and lays down frequently. Appears to be sleeping. Eyes closed. And general lack of awareness.

Attachments

• 20211025_140211.jpg
    20211025_140211.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20211025_135851.jpg
    20211025_135851.jpg
    739.4 KB · Views: 3
I would call your state vet to learn if they will do a necropsy and how to take the body in. It has to be kept cold, not frozen and either taken in or shipped overnight. It sounds like she is dying. Then you could try tube feeding her or have your vet give her subcutaneous fluids, but it may be too late. Keep her warm since she is not eating. Let us know how she is doing. So sorry.

To let you all know... Who took pity on me. She died about 10 minutes ago. I put her out in the sunshine where she liked to sunbathe. She went to sleep and just stopped breathing. Thankfully she decided to take the movie exit.

Back
Top Bottom