File cabinet nest box!

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
Recently I met a lady living in a trailer park in town who had a beautiful little garden area in the back with a nifty little chicken coop there. It was made of metal framing with wire and metal mesh sides (they had a pal in the screening business who gave them most of the materials), a screen door reinforced with metal mesh, and a corregated metal roof. There were about 5 hens living there, using a 2-drawer metal filing cabinet for a nest box. The top drawer had been removed, providing easy access to the bottom drawer which was lined with straw.

I just love funky and creative uses for everyday things, especially in coop construction. Don't you?

that's really fun!

i had a massive brainwave yesterday, about 18 hours after completing your basic rubbermaid brooder. i was sitting and thinking about the old cabinet console t.v. in our basement that was left by the previous owners. it's a substantial piece of furniture and the t.v. still works, but who'd want the stupid heavy thing? it won't even connect to all of the modern toys. i thought, heh, it would make a cool fishtank if you gutted it... OR A BROODER, OMG! epoxy a piece of plexi in place of the screen, hinge the top to make a lid, install a couple of vents on the side, you could run the heat lamp cord out through where the t.v. cord runs now. chick t.v.! genius!

i don't think i'll do it this year, but i just might do it next!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom