File Cabinet Nest Boxes

Great idea!

And on the outside of the coop I would install a door with hinges and secure lock to prevent predators accessing the nest boxes by simply drawing them out. Raccoons are very clever...

Redneck Engineering at its finest, I like that use of a file cabinet :clap

I’d suggest to install some old split-open garden hose w/zipties on the sharp edge to protect chickens from getting cut.

What tool did you cut the holes with?
I used a sawzall and am using PVC clear vinyl tubing for the outside! The hose is also a great idea!

This is from many years ago, but getting started on my journey and looking to see what you all think!

I have 2 file cabinets cut holes in the back with access to the file cabinets on the outside! Thankfully I have flexibility to change things, but wanted to give this a try and see what yall think! My chicks are not laying yet but will any day now.

Thank you in advances for feedback.View attachment 3602282View attachment 3602281 View attachment 3602283
I would be concerned that because of how high they get relative to the roosts, you may get chickens trying to sleep in those. But, if not, woo hoo!

I would also suggest you will get more eyes on your post if you start a new threat. Many people see these really old threads and won't even click on them.

Great idea!

And on the outside of the coop I would install a door with hinges and secure lock to prevent predators accessing the nest boxes by simply drawing them out. Raccoons are very clever...
Also helpful! Thank you and I have been back and forth about it but hearing the feedback helps me to want to add extra security!

Back
Top Bottom