Filthy Eggs Hatchable?

HawaiiHorseGirl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Hawaii
We have had some extremely wet weather and my turkeys lay wherever and their eggs have been getting 100% covered in mud. I've been rinsing them off in room temp water but are they hatchable or are the pores all clogged?

Thanks!

I do not incubate dirty eggs period. None of the dirty ones I ever HAVE incubated, hatched.

Washing them off will actually do more damage, as it will wash off the egg's protective
coating, and make it very easy for bacteria to enter the egg, However in a bad situation,

it is OK. Wash them in water at least 5 degrees warmer than the egg, and wash within hours

of incubation. Let the egg settle for a few hours, and be sure it is room temperature before washing.

Do not use soap or any cleaning solution, just running water. I wish you the best of luck.
smile.png

Last edited:
I have some duck eggs due to hatch next week,they where coated in mud and broken egg.I started with 75 and now down to 29.Im not sure how long they where in the mud or how old the eggs where.I know she chased a goose off the eggs and alot of eggs broke all over the duck eggs
sickbyc.gif

So it doesnt hurt to try,I washed the eggs in just plain luke warm water.
I normaly don't wash eggs but these where in bad shape and needed a wash.
So next week I should have some baby ducks hatching
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom