FILTHY EGGS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dddCT, Mar 6, 2009.

1. dddCT

dddCT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Durham, CT
    I received a dozen hatching eggs today and they are all filthy. I have gotten hatching eggs before and 1 or so will be a little dirty but these are bad. I've been told that you shouldn't incubate them if they are dirty. These are a the eggs. What should I do? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. eschwaderer

eschwaderer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Ohio
    Brush them off, wipe with a little warm water and cross your fingers. I wouldn't put them together with good clean eggs in my bator though. What's done is done, give them a try.

3. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

I would wipe them with a dry paper towel and set them. I never wash or wet my hatching eggs. Good luck [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Is that stains or pure dirt, I would contact the seller, sender and ask for a replacement. if I sent those i'd be embarrassed

If there duck then brush them off duck are alway dirty.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Are they waterfowl eggs? I've noticed they seem to be much dirtier than chicken eggs. I agree, clean them up a bit and set them. You've got nothing to lose by trying.

6. dddCT

dddCT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Durham, CT
    They are chicken eggs.

7. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I guess it depends on how you look at it half say dont wash eggs other half says wash...what is a person to do?
    I was told to take a dry cloth and lightly scrap dry dirt off before putting it in bator even lightly sand off the dirt with fine sand paper....
    I have seen plenty hatch dirty eggs.....

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Some of my eggs got to looking like that when it rained, but I certainly did not send them out.. I would want a "do-over" and I would not set them with clean eggs. If you only have one bator, and other clean eggs to set, I would just pass on setting these, personally. If I found the eggs "unuseable" because of how dirty they were, I would also ask for a refund, including using PayPal's refund process if they were not cooperative.

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've read NOT to sand - even a bit. Sanding can cause the dirt to be driven into the pores. Your best bet is to lightly wipe them with a dry paper towel.

You've got nothing to lose, but I would most definitley let the seller know you're disappointed. I'm a firm believer in feedback.

10. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I wouldn't do any thing to them. If you can set them with out other eggs it would be best.
    Have you ever seen eggs under a broody. I've seen some that were very dirty and hatch out just fine.
    Best of luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by