1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

final bator tweeking

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken stalker, Feb 16, 2009.

1. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    ok my bator has been running for a month now. I had some test eggs in it and only one developed; they were from the refrigerator so I wasn't expecting any to develop. I had a temperature spike around day 12 and when I candled on day 17 the embryo was dead....I waited to day 23 just in case. I want to tweek my bator so I can hopefully have a successful hatch. I'm getting eggs this weekend and this time I'm paying for them.

So here are my questions...
    1. Is there any way to control/prevent temperature spikes?
    2. Currently with no eggs the bator swing about 1 degree (99.3-100.6). Is that ok or is it dipping to low?
    3. My wiggler temp reads a almost steady temp (see above) but the "indoor" temperature reads about 98.3. Which do I believe? Do I average them? I have an Acurite thermometer.

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    I'm sorry if I missed a previous thread.

1) What kind of incubator do you have?
    2) Are you checking humidity?

Your questions:
    1) Keep the incubator in a room that doesn't change temperature much, no direct sunlight, no drafts.

2) The eggs will add mass and hold heat, keeping the temperature swings lower.

3) Have you tested the thermometers? I would go with the wiggler, assuming the thermometer is accurate.

Best wishes for a great hatch!

3. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    Its homemade and in my closet...it runs pretty well I just want to tweek it.

other ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by