Final coop/run design. I would love feedback!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blitz1976, Jul 9, 2011.

1. blitz1976

blitz1976 New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    Hello everyone. This is only my second post, unfortunately my first post was to get help for one of my girls...we had to put her down [​IMG]

This post about my final coop/run and mobile paddock design in action. I would appreciate any feedback you might have. I have 2 RIR and 2 B Rocks.

The coop and run are both 3 ft wide by 5 ft long, and the coop is 48 inches tall. The inside of the coop has one laying box and a waterer/feed section built in. The floors are dirt/vegetation and I put down straw as bedding for now, though Id like to do pine shavings eventually. I have the coop/run designed so that I can slide them down 5 feet to rotate the ground for sanitation. The girls sleep in there at night but go out to the mobile paddock during the day, I move this area around my yard every few weeks or so. I cant think of any other details so if you have a question Id love to hear it! Thanks very much!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] I am not the only one that does that woot my neighbors look at me wierd because i did that for my ducks [​IMG] i wish i had that by the way! Its GREAT! good job [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I think the idea is just fine. It looks like they will have enough room to graze around. But I don't like the looks of that fencing on this mobile area. Dogs maul or kill chickens everyday. And that does not look dog proof to me. Looks like they could dig under or jump over it. The chickens certainly will fly over.

As for the coop, make sure nothing can tunnel under at night and get your birds.

Other than that, I think you have a good place but need more predator proofing. [​IMG]

Oh and [​IMG]

4. blitz1976

blitz1976 New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    Quote:Do what? have them in the mobile paddock? I love it really. My neighbours already think we are weird , yet cool at the same time. We have edible landscaping and forest garden, not much lawn [​IMG]

Its not dog proof right now, it can be electrified, but I didnt want to do that because of all the little kids in our area. We live out in the country so we do get some stray dogs and fox, they typically don't come near our area though. We usually keep an eye out during the day, and I dont have their wings clipped so they can escape to higher ground. I havent had too many issues with them flying out, and when they do they come right back and they are trained to come in at night.

If you can see in the picture there are wood tracks that the coop slides and sits on. There is 16 inch rebar every 3 inches on those base pieces so nothing can tunnel down under. Ive tried to think of everything. Thanks for the comments everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by