Final integration?

9reasons

Chirping
Oct 29, 2022
I have a very small flock of three chickens. Two I got from six and seven weeks old. The other I got six weeks ago and she’s 42 weeks and laying. The coop I have is suitable for four hens but I’m only having these three, there is also an attached small run, 1.5m X 80cm which currently has the tunnel that connects them blocked by a small cat carrier that the older hen is using as a nest box, it also separates her from the two others that have been using the coop and roost from the beginning. They were separated for about three weeks like this and free ranged separately (look don’t touch) and for the last three weeks, they have been free ranging together but sleeping in the two seperate sections. The coop and run are securely attached to the ground and cannot be moved. My question is, I am feeling as though it is time to take the cat carrier out of the tunnel, still leave it in the run for the time being, but allow them to mingle together now in an enclosed space. We let them out around 4:30am. They all free range from dusk until dawn, and will only go in together to roost. I would love my older hen to use the roost with the two others eventually so collecting eggs is much easier for me. Currently I have to climb inside the run to get them out of her cat carrier which is pretty awkward! My two younger ones are now 14 and 15 weeks and getting reasonably big. Maybe I should wait another couple of weeks until they are virtually the same size? They are all Orpington’s. Currently if the older one corners one in the run, she gives them a hard peck and pulls a feather out. Otherwise they are pretty good now. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have a very small flock of three chickens. Two I got from six and seven weeks old. The other I got six weeks ago and she’s 42 weeks and laying. The coop I have is suitable for four hens but I’m only having these three, there is also an attached small run, 1.5m X 80cm which currently has the tunnel that connects them blocked by a small cat carrier that the older hen is using as a nest box, it also separates her from the two others that have been using the coop and roost from the beginning. They were separated for about three weeks like this and free ranged separately (look don’t touch) and for the last three weeks, they have been free ranging together but sleeping in the two seperate sections. The coop and run are securely attached to the ground and cannot be moved. My question is, I am feeling as though it is time to take the cat carrier out of the tunnel, still leave it in the run for the time being, but allow them to mingle together now in an enclosed space. We let them out around 4:30am. They all free range from dusk until dawn, and will only go in together to roost. I would love my older hen to use the roost with the two others eventually so collecting eggs is much easier for me. Currently I have to climb inside the run to get them out of her cat carrier which is pretty awkward! My two younger ones are now 14 and 15 weeks and getting reasonably big. Maybe I should wait another couple of weeks until they are virtually the same size? They are all Orpington’s. Currently if the older one corners one in the run, she gives them a hard peck and pulls a feather out. Otherwise they are pretty good now. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sorry they free range from dawn until dusk! 🙄

I would remove the block between them. A peck here or there as they work out the pecking order is normal. Don't be surprised if they continue to act as if the block is still there at first. They have their habits of where to sleep and lay.

I would remove the block between them. A peck here or there as they work out the pecking order is normal. Don't be surprised if they continue to act as if the block is still there at first. They have their habits of where to sleep and lay.
I actually did take the cat carrier out of the tunnel this morning because we are now getting a lot of rain and even though everything has a roof, it would be nice for the older hen to be able to go up into the roost too where it’s cosy if she chooses. They are all looking a bit taken aback and curious, I’m hoping they will all work it out!

Back
Top Bottom