finally an owner of chickens!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CollinfromKC, Jun 20, 2018.

1. CollinfromKC

CollinfromKC In the Brooder

Feb 12, 2018
    Just finished my coop and runner today, and found a guy who is moving and needed to rehome 2, and just my luck I already have em home! I know ones a buff Orpington, the other is reddish but he said it was too, either way they are great so far eating bugs and scratching dirt

Attached Files:

2. Olivekat07

Olivekat07 Songster

Dec 10, 2017
    Tennessee
    Welcome to BYC!!:welcome
    We are glad that you joined our flock!!:woot
    There are many articals and videos to help you raise some poultry!!!:jumpy
    There also is a gardening forum!
    I hope you have fun raising some chickens!! ❤️❤️❤️
    (or any type of livestock;))

Congrats on finishing!!
    Looks great!!

3. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    Welcome , be careful about just taking hens from others . I hope you know him and how he raised them ? Always introducing new hens is a stress on them . Plan out what you want and proceed.

Have fun

4. alexa009

alexa009 Free Ranging

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens!:frow Glad you joined the flock! BYC is a very helpful and informative site about poultry! You have a beautiful and spacious coop! Hope you enjoy it here!

5. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Crossing the Road

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    Hello, and welcome to BYC!

6. MickWithChicks

MickWithChicks Songster

Jul 18, 2017
    East Coast of Australia
    Welcome to the club and beware the chicken math!

Also, before you lose contact with the guy you received your chickens from, find out their age and how often they lay as well as anything else you can (did they free range, what did he feed them, what type of music do they listen to, etc). You'll probably go a few weeks while they readjust to their new environment before you see an egg from them, but use the time to enjoy the ride and gain their trust. It's much easier to care for chickens who don't run away from you every time you go near them.

7. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

Here’s a link to general links and the different forums on BYC - https://www.backyardchickens.com/misc/quick-navigation-menu

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Mick with Chicks has given you some good advice.

9. tjo804

tjo804 Crowing

Mar 15, 2014
    Cedar Creek, Texas
    Welcome to BYC.
    It is a great place for info, but also lots of random rambling if you like it or are thinking of trying it, someone here does too! Have fun loads of nice ppl here.

Your coop and run look like chicken heaven! And looks like you have found a great starter group. ( or they found you ;))

007Sean and Farmer Connie like this.
  10. CollinfromKC

CollinfromKC In the Brooder

Feb 12, 2018
    he still has 17, but wanted to start small, they are 1 1/2 years old, raised em since chicks. He' a ways out of Kansas City so has a rooster. The others are Rhode Island Reds and something else. he said he gets an egg every other day about with the Orps, and to start with thats plenty for me! Thanks for the warm welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: