Songster
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Cabot, AR
Ok, so after starting with this:
56972_20100520_30.jpg

I ended up with this:
56972_20100820_12.jpg

The journey in between has been sooo much work but so much fun! Well except for the 98 degree days trying to build the coop! That was the pits, but that is what you get when you put your chickens before the coop! Anyway...I said I would post pics of the finished coop, so here they are:
First is my pop door...I wanted to fix it so I could open it from outside the coop and run, for days I have to work and I'm pushed for time. My first attempt didn't work, well it worked but left the string tied to the latch stretched across the door...not good.
56972_20100820_4.jpg

So I rethought it and realized if I put the hook part of the latch on the door sill instead of on the door, I would eliminate that problem. So...
56972_20100820_8.jpg

Here it is unlatched...
56972_20100820_9.jpg

I drilled holes into the wall to run the string from the door and latch, so I could extend it out to the front of the coop:
56972_20100820_10.jpg

56972_20100820_11.jpg

Here is Rudy checking out the new nest buckets I put in yesterday. I was going to make a wooden frame for them, but still too hot! So for now I just have them side by side between a rock and the wall.
56972_20100820_1.jpg

I do plan on painting 'Biddy Barn' on the door, but it rained the last 2 days...maybe this weekend. I am sooo glad I am done! Now...when do I get some eggs, girls? They were 16 weeks old yesterday, so maybe in the next month!

I feel you on the heat! Hubby and I were sweating like mad in our triple digit, humid East Texas weather!

Wow! Your rooster is really big. Were the hens laying eggs in the house??
smile.png

The coop looks great! I'm sure the chooks are ecstatic to be in their new digs.

Good thinking on the pop door. Out of all the things we did in our coop, I think my hubby is most proud of the pop door he installed. It's the little things in life, isn't it?

Rachel

I can relate to your weather, manoweeds, we moved from north Louisiana near the Shreveport/Barksdale area. Definitely don't miss the humidity or the fire ants! I am really proud of the coop. The most help I had was building the walls, installing windows, and putting on the roof. Everything else I did by my self. My DH started painting inside one day while I was at work. He started with the studs, but called me before he got to the plywood. He painted the studs barn red, even though I told him the inside was going to be white! So he got mad and didn't paint anymore. He did help me put up a couple of pieces of trim. I built the roost, the poop board, put down the floor, put the wire over the eaves, did all the painting inside and out, the floor, the pop door, and most of the run. DH and DS helped me put the wire on the run. Everything else I did. Hens aren't laying yet, but hopefully within the next month or so. I can't wait for my own eggs!

I like it good job.
thumbsup.gif
But I would of held it off to winter but then it would be to cold so only in the spring would I build it mabye.
wink.png
I am a procratinator!
roll.png

very nice work, glad you were able to beat the heat. your ladies should be very happy and comfy in the new pad. Yes you will probbably see eggs in the next few weeks or so.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom