Finally finished small coop

Thanks again, I'm pretty happy with it, I was going for safe & cheerful.

It had its first test last night, the babies were in it for the first night, light on and cheeping away. DH and I were watching TV and heard something very large thumping around on the roof. My heart started racing, I thought the coop was secure, but that was a huge raccoon stomping around! I opened the door out back, and beagle boy started sniffing, braying away and having a fit, then the lab joined in. The beagle tracked where the coon had been, and sure enough it was around the whole perimeter of the run. Everything seemed fine, though, and when I double checked on the girls they were happy as can be, blissfully unaware that there had been a big old animal out there desperately trying to figure out a way in to them. Whew! Gotta love hardware cloth, painful and annoying that it is. I'm sure there' s no way to make th coop totally impenetrable, but hopefully it's enough of a pain in the rear to get into it that the raccoons will opt for the neighbor's cat food instead.

If I hadn't found this site, I wouldn't have known how to secure it, and my babies would have been toast. I'm very grateful for all of the good advice my lurking pulled from other posts.

Back
Top Bottom