Finally getting a house with land!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cyanne, Jul 28, 2008.

1. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    The hubby and I have been living smack in the middle of a dreaded suburban housing development for the last 9 yrs now, and since the first year we've been dreaming of having our own place in the country on acreage.

Since buying our little farm was out of reach, we compensated by turning our modest backyard into a mini farm with vegetable and herb gardens, a greenhouse, and most recently, CHICKENS!!!

The problem with the chicken thing is that I bought lots of extras to make sure I got enough pullets, then the plan was to sell the roos. Plans....well the roosters are my favorites!!!

Still, keeping roos in the burbs doesn't work when it's not even legal to have chickens in the first place, so we suddenly got very serious about looking in to buying our land.

We got together with our realtor, thinking we'd casually spend a few months shopping around and meanwhile we'd get our house ready for sale at a leisurely pace... [​IMG]

Yeah, right! On the first trip out to look at houses for sale we found our dream home on 5 acres. So, now we're rushing to put in offers, set up financing, having our current house painted, boxing up tons of stuff so we can 'unclutter' and make it sell faster.... EXHAUSTING!!!

But it will all be worth it if we get this house and have 5 acres to fill with chickens, horses, goats....

I can even build a pond and have geese, ducks, turkeys...OMG!!! [​IMG]

The only downside (other than finding ourselves exhausted and in serious need of cash!!!) is that all of our chickens have to go to live with my parents until everything is settled. So I will be bummed out because I won't get to spend time with them everyday.[​IMG]

2. Javamama

Javamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    USA
    Here's hoping for a quick sale and good luck! I hope I can find my piece of heaven someday too. All I can do now is prepare...

3. lost

lost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    [​IMG]

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    We found our little piece of Heaven on 20 acres and we are SO very lucky and just totally at piece with it all! congrats!

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Congratulations!

6. cyanne

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    We really couldn't believe how nice this place is that we are making the offer on. We looked at a few others before it and honestly we thought we'd be looking a LONG time because those were in terrible shape. The first house we looked at was so bad that it wasn't even able to be renovated, it would have to be bulldozed and rebuilt. Yikes!

This one, though, is an amazing deal...built in 2007, all hardwood and tile floors, huge enclosed deck, 5 acres with trees and good soil....

Apparently the owners had it all built, lived in it for a year, and now are getting a divorce so the house is on the market. Bad for them, but great for us! [​IMG]

7. KLH2010

KLH2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    That's really great! Can't wait til I can find a place to fill with animals myself...

8. cyanne

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    And yes, we do feel a little guilty for profiting from their misfortune.

but only a little! [​IMG]

9. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Best of luck, Cyanne. I can't imagine my life without my piece of land and family.

10. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Congrats glad your found your slice now here is hoping it all works out and your home sells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by