1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finally getting my chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Soap Junkie, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Soap Junkie

Soap Junkie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    Oxford Mi
    I have been wanting to do this for over a year, and I orderd 7 (Isa?) browns from a grain elevator, picking them up this week sometime. I have been reading and reading this site and I will continue to keep reading, but I am having difficulty finding an answer so I am hoping someone can help me with this.
    I do not want to feed my chickens commercial grain. I know this will mean more work for me, but I am very adamit about this. I am trying to figure out for the new chicks what is the best combo of foods to feed them, and how much grit they will need. I am having a bit of trouble finding this because everone (or what I have read so far) uses the grain. If anyone has a link for me or any advice I would so appreciate it!

The reason I dont want to use the grain is GMO's incase anyone thinks I am crazy for not using grain! Organic is not so urgent (but prefered) I just want to do this as natural as possible. I have heard that cooked brown rice is good, and cooked oatmeal, meal worm or other bugs, greens such as veggies (broccli, califlower, cabbage ect...) is this a full diet for chicks?

Thank you!

Sue

2. MydearWatson

MydearWatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    I plan on using feed but I am very interested in feeding them the food we have available at home. So I'm just hopping on to your thread.

Good luck with your chicks! [​IMG]

3. homesteadinmama

homesteadinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Merrimack
  4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by