Finally getting my chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Soap Junkie, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Soap Junkie

Soap Junkie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    Oxford Mi
    I have been wanting to do this for over a year, and I orderd 7 (Isa?) browns from a grain elevator, picking them up this week sometime. I have been reading and reading this site and I will continue to keep reading, but I am having difficulty finding an answer so I am hoping someone can help me with this.
    I do not want to feed my chickens commercial grain. I know this will mean more work for me, but I am very adamit about this. I am trying to figure out for the new chicks what is the best combo of foods to feed them, and how much grit they will need. I am having a bit of trouble finding this because everone (or what I have read so far) uses the grain. If anyone has a link for me or any advice I would so appreciate it!

The reason I dont want to use the grain is GMO's incase anyone thinks I am crazy for not using grain! Organic is not so urgent (but prefered) I just want to do this as natural as possible. I have heard that cooked brown rice is good, and cooked oatmeal, meal worm or other bugs, greens such as veggies (broccli, califlower, cabbage ect...) is this a full diet for chicks?

Thank you!

Sue

2. MydearWatson

MydearWatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    I plan on using feed but I am very interested in feeding them the food we have available at home. So I'm just hopping on to your thread.

Good luck with your chicks! [​IMG]

3. homesteadinmama

homesteadinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Merrimack
  4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by